Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,925   Posts: 1,522,117   Online: 786

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: silver bullets

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    I must respectfully disagree with the part about taking classes. Practice, yes; but if you don't have an eye for composition, no amount of study will help you. The technical stuff isn't that hard to figure out on your own.
    I agree. And actually performing is ten times better than practicing.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I agree. And actually performing is ten times better than practicing.

Steve.
    I respectfully don't
    I took some classes/cources/workshops years back and that really boosted my interest and motivation. It got me to think out of the box and took me out of my comfortzone more than once. No amount of reading, photoclub membership or practicing ever tought me as much as I learned back then and I have experienced more than one fellow photographer stuck because they refuse to do "specified asignments" (dont know the right word for those task you get in a photoclub or workshop) but rather stick with the types of subjects they are used to prhotographed like they always have done it.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    I must respectfully disagree with the part about taking classes. Practice, yes; but if you don't have an eye for composition, no amount of study will help you. The technical stuff isn't that hard to figure out on your own.
    Keeping it respectful: I am biased, having spent my life as a teacher, but trying to do everything through book learning and practice is a surefire way to amplify your own thoughts and tendencies. You can get a lot better through this method, but you will not get the benefit of an independent and practiced eye reviewing your methods and procedures. You need to take everything a teacher says with a certain skepticism, but the idea of collaborative learning with another experienced artist/teacher is a very valuable experience .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    You'd have to ask the Lone Ranger, and I think he's dead.
    The Lone Ranger is indeed dead, Tonto shot him when he discovered that his name Tonto meant fool in Spanish
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    You need to take everything a teacher says with a certain skepticism, but the idea of collaborative learning with another experienced artist/teacher is a very valuable experience .
    It's not really possible to make a definitive statement on this as people differ in the way they like to learn. Personally, I don't like formal lessons and don't like being told what to do. I have taught myself to play guitar, mandolin, ukulele and banjo by this method and to a lesser extent, taught myself to speak French.

Other people learn really well from formal lessons and neither way is right or wrong.

Still using the music example, I consider a live gig to be easily worth ten practice sessions to learn how things go. If I had my way I would only play live and never practice. Not quite knowing how a song goes as you launch into it is a great way of learning it really quickly!.... Again, this is just my personal view.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It's not really possible to make a definitive statement on this as people differ in the way they like to learn. Personally, I don't like formal lessons and don't like being told what to do. I have taught myself to play guitar, mandolin, ukulele and banjo by this method and to a lesser extent, taught myself to speak French.

Other people learn really well from formal lessons and neither way is right or wrong.

Still using the music example, I consider a live gig to be easily worth ten practice sessions to learn how things go. If I had my way I would only play live and never practice. Not quite knowing how a song goes as you launch into it is a great way of learning it really quickly!.... Again, this is just my personal view.

Steve.
    Steve, I appreciate that for yourself you prefer to teach yourself, but I consider to advocate this method of education to people in general to be misguided I would hate to have somebody with your attitude to formal teaching and learning performing surgery on me or members my family, or calculating the structural stress factors on a bridge we were driving over.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-10-2011 at 07:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Steve, I would hate to have somebody with your attitude to formal teaching and learning performing surgery on me or members my family, or calculating the structural stress factors on a bridge we were driving over.
    So would I.

But we're not talking about those sort of life critical applications here. Our discussions are about artistic choices in photography (and music). Not the end of the world if you make a bad print (or play a wrong note).

Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Young naked women works for a lot of people, though some people can ruin even that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Work your butt off under the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    practice, notes, doing, learning, mentoring all these things can and will
    make someone better at certain things, and of course the excalibur of cameras
    doesn't hurt

but is there something, more than these things that makes great image making ?
    i mean, one can make perfect exposures, process the film perfectly, and make a perfect 20x24 image,
    but if there is nothing-there ...

how do we know there is something there or it doesn't matter ?
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin