Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,494   Online: 1128

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: silver bullets

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing that I found to my cost earlier in my photography many years ago is that buying more and more expensive equipment isn't the answer, because once you own the best that money can buy and your work is still crap you have no excuses, and where do you go from there ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy
    One thing that I found to my cost earlier in my photography many years ago is that buying more and more expensive equipment isn't the answer, because once you own the best that money can buy and your work is still crap you have no excuses, and where do you go from there ?
    Blame the film.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    People chasing after the perfect lens, film, paper, formula, etc. to make their photographs great are trying to ignore the underlying truth that they have no talent or vision. That's not to say that trying new stuff isn't fun or valuable, but it isn't a substitute for the latter two.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My take is that you find the tools that work for you, and that allow you to express your vision, and work with them until they are honed and their use becomes second nature. To some (myself included) this has been at quite some cost along the way to find the right outfit that works for you. Be it large format, a Hasselblad, a Holga, a pinhole camera, adapting a funky lens to a camera, or whatever you use to demonstrate your vision. Familiarity, and knowing what its capable of and learning to truly see are where successful images are made.

I took a workshop with Fay Godwin back in the UK during the early 90's. After seeing her low-tech approach and sticking with familiar 'tools' so that nothing gets in the way was drummed home to me. It changed how I viewed image making forever. I only use one or two films and one developer anymore...... Simplicity and knowing how to use all the tools together is key.

If you have too many choices though, it just gets in the way.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As for choices, my father in law sold men\'s clothing for a living.

He said the secret to selling a man a shirt was offer him two shirts.

The store stocked probably 10-12 labels from top to bottom.

When someone walked in you look at him and size up the situation, then offer him an inexpensive shirt and an expensive shirt that most likely in his range. But offer him too many choices and he just leaves in confusion.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 01-10-2011 at 11:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    IME there aren't any magic/silver bullets, though I've found workshops incredibly helpful and just keep looking at as wide a range of art [not just photography] as possible. Equipment and technique wise, simplicity is good-it can actually be really liberating to limit your choices.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The Lone Ranger is indeed dead, Tonto shot him when he discovered that his name Tonto meant fool in Spanish
    I always wondered when he would figure that out.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Young naked women works for a lot of people, though some people can ruin even that.
    Whether they help or not, at least it's fun trying...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I, for one, am glad that there are no silver bullets. How mundane photography would be, if there were.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only Silver Bullet I can think of is time... just time to do this thing called photography.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin