Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,439   Online: 1193

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the discussion should be 'why we shoot digital'? its a bizare, ten years old medium but the one from over a century needs justification.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shootsingh View Post
    I think the discussion should be 'why we shoot digital'? its a bizare, ten years old medium but the one from over a century needs justification.
    That's a fair point; it's akin to asking 'Why do you write letters with a fountain pen instead of e-mail?'

IMO, if one has confidence in one's work, one certainly doesn't need to explain one's choice of medium. You wouldn't ask an artist why s/he chooses to sketch with charcoal and paper - a medium considerably older than photography - instead of a sketch tablet and laptop - would you?

If the equipment is good, the medium is well-chosen and the result is fit for purpose, where's the problem? A better question might be 'Why should *anyone* need to justify his/her choice of medium?'. If one requires approval for one's choices, the problem is with the ego, not the medium.

All IMO of course.

Cheers,
    kevs.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really think that using film is a way to enjoy photography that you never can with digital. I don't knock digital as a technology at all - use it if you want to, as long as the pictures are good.
    But I LOVE film photography and darkroom printing, and I cannot bring myself to love digital capture or even film scanning. It is dull dull dull and boring boring boring. It's how it is. I find the groove under the safelight. The rest doesn't matter. Hopefully enough people will stay enthusiastic about it so we can continue to have film for a long time yet. Without film I would just quit.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post

IMO, if one has confidence in one's work, one certainly doesn't need to explain one's choice of medium. You wouldn't ask an artist why s/he chooses to sketch with charcoal and paper - a medium considerably older than photography - instead of a sketch tablet and laptop - would you?

If the equipment is good, the medium is well-chosen and the result is fit for purpose, where's the problem? A better question might be 'Why should *anyone* need to justify his/her choice of medium?'. If one requires approval for one's choices, the problem is with the ego, not the medium.
    Absolutely, a well founded choice of medium is a source of confidence leaving creativity as the sole recipient for energy and consideration.
    Regards
    Charles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin