Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,070   Online: 783

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IME, it is usually the police who are backing me up when some shop owner or other nut job is going off on me for shooting from public property, and coercing me, harassing me, threatening me, etc. Once I see a conversation with such a person is going nowhere (usually takes only a sentence or two at most to figure it out), I tell them the conversation is over and to call the police if they want to keep talking.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-28-2011 at 12:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about private sector buildings? I was trying to photograph some of the buildings in New York (downtown, Lincoln Center), and every time some "security" guy/gal was out to stop me day or night. I would love to have a similar document to show them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I was harassed every where I went, I couldn't even take a photo of a pigeon in Central Park without an FI. So I bought a Leica, now everybody thinks I'm a dentist, not a terrorist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walbergb
    What about private sector buildings? I was trying to photograph some of the buildings in New York (downtown, Lincoln Center), and every time some "security" guy/gal was out to stop me day or night. I would love to have a similar document to show them.
    The rule is that you as a citizen have the right to be standing in a public place. Period.

Of course that isn't what an overzealous wingnut security guard will say, but a knowledgeable one will know that.

Step on to private property and the property owner can make the rules. For example, you can stand on the sidewalk and take a picture of a private building so long as you aren't violating the law about impediment of traffic. But if you step off the sidewalk into the building grounds, even if there is no fence, then you are on their property.

Any deeper analysis than this you need a local lawyer. The rules are different all over the place.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hear you Michael. To argue my rights was my first inclination, but I quickly figured it was a fight best left to another day when I was better prepared. Having a document such as the one that started this thread but with broader applications would be just the ammunition I need. Now you will have to excuse me; I see a building that needs photographing:-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    This covers only photography of federal buildings.
    Nor does it address the problem of rent-a-cops. Sworn Federal law enforcement officers I've encountered have never given me any trouble. It's the low life contractors they hire who have always run me off.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Nor does it address the problem of rent-a-cops. Sworn Federal law enforcement officers I've encountered have never given me any trouble. It's the low life contractors they hire who have always run me off.
    That mirrors my experience. It's the wannabes that cause us grief.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fellow APUGer tonyjuliano posted this link http://www.camerazealot.com/?p=589 in his "The Photographer's Rights" thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/8...ml#post1128528 . I think I will make a few copies and keep them in my camera bag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin