Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,370   Online: 805

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I got ripped off -what are my options?

I bought paper from a guy who owns a business in the USA and he actually runs a darkroom and does prints for customers. I heard he was selling some paper (I should have been suspicious of this right away) that he "guaranteed" and that he "is a pro and knows his stuff". First off, he led me to beleive that all the 16x20 packages were 50 sheets, but they were two 10s and one 25, so I ended up with 3 of those and 2 partial boxes of some 8x10 and 11x14 for $225. When I got them, I complained about the 16x20 paper only being 10 and 25 sheets when I was under the impression that they were 50 sheet boxes as we were talking about 50 sheet boxes the entire time in our conversation. He said denied me a refund on that basis. So, I tested the paper and the 8x10, 11x14 and one of the 16x20 packages were fogged and unusable for my application. Since he guaranteed the paper I started sending it back. I sent the 11x14 paper first and he sent me a new box because he would not refund my money. So a couple months later, I later tested the 8x10 and 16x20 paper (which was stored in my fridge) and sent an email saying this was no good as well and I'd be sending it too. He sent me an email saying "keep it" and although I've sent a few emails addressing this issue and requesting an explanation, he is not responding.

I'm not going to name names, but I'm tempted and anyone who sends me a PM, I will surely give this information. Basically, I paid via Paypal as "gift", so I'm not covered. I also did this around eBay, so I'm not covered there. He probably know this and this is why he is screwing me around -he feels he isn't accountable because there's no feedback or compaint process for the way we did the business. At first he said he would replace all the fogged paper, but when it worked out that he wasn't going to make any money off the deal, he has obviously bailed. Because he owns a legit business and ripped off his customer (I have the receipt as well), what are my options? Can I file a complaint through the Better Business Bureau (BBB)? I am quite pissed at the fact that he would rip me off like this, but I did get 1 11x14 Ilford WT FB package that is good and about 25 sheets of Forte FB WT that is good, so I'm not losing a ton of money. But it's the ethics of the situation in question that make me mad. I work with homeless youth and don't make much money and some of my clients are more accountable than this guy.

Let me know your thoughts.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When you found one box was fogged, you should have tested all of the others, even only test strips. But given the length of the interim and a lack of legal recourse, I would say expensive lesson learned.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Better Business Bureau is basically powerless unless the other party is a member or otherwise has reason to be concerned about their reputation with BBB. They might, however, contact the person on your behalf and try to work something out with him, so at least that might be worth something.

I guess I am not philosophically opposed to outing the guy for this kind of mistreatment, since there are precious few other options, but I know that there are a lot of folks who would not agree with me on that. Of course, folks will realize that these kinds of complaints are, by the very nature, one sided, and will wonder what the "other side" would have to say.

I guess this is one reason to avoid dealing off of eBay and using PayPal as a gift. There does have to be trust involved to make that kind of transaction work. I am sorry to hear about your bad experience and hope you can get some level of satisfaction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    When you found one box was fogged, you should have tested all of the others, even only test strips. But given the length of the interim and a lack of legal recourse, I would say expensive lesson learned.
    Yeah, really good point here too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris...

I couldn't test them all because I didn't have them with me with I was using the 11x14. The following day, I left to Ontario for a couple months, so I put the paper in the fridge. When I got back to NYC, I tested the other stuff. I agree there is a timeframe, but paper just doesn't turn in 2 months in the fridge. I checked with Ilford on the expiry dates and the 8x10 is a year older than the 11x14, which was honored as an exchange. So, at the very least, I feel he should honor the 8x10 box.

Paul...

I have no philosophical opposition to outing him either, but I agree that since you only hear one side it's not the right thing to do unless he came on here and gave his side of the story. However, I have asked an explanation on why this isn't honored and he is avoiding me at this point. So, as far as I know there isn't another side to the story.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm not one to fling mud, but if this guy is a member of this forum and deals here, I think some negative feedback in the appropriate place might be in order. If he's not a member here, there's probably little point in outing him.

It might end up being an expensive lesson. It sounds like he really misrepresented his items, but you probably waited a bit too long to follow up on it. Unfortunate timing.

At least we are all reminded to be careful about using the Paypal gift option and circumventing ebay.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm no lawyer, but I think you might have to be pragmatic and accept what the previous posters say.

I'm not sure of your purpose in dealing off Ebay and Paypal...apologies if I've got the wrong impression, but has maybe trying to save a few cents excluded you from using their complaints system. I use Ebay from time-to-time and would be suspicious of someone wanting to go outside the system...Ebay do specifically warn about this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    jordan

contact your credit card co your paypal is linked to.
    you may have recourse through them.

- john

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Unfortunately, if you withdrew your money straight from your account, I don't think the credit card company will help.

I never pay with straight account money for this reason (not that I've ever put it to the test).

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    jordan

contact your credit card co your paypal is linked to.
    you may have recourse through them.

- john
    Worth a try but only within your CC's terms.

When someone does me like that, I usually write it off as tuition, lesson learned. Still, I'm seeing a whole new subspecies of crook dealing in crap paper and film on "The Big Auction Site" and elsewhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin