Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,022   Online: 795

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Documentaries on Photography?

I love documentaries -- they are educational and entertaining.

I recently viewed 2 PBS documentaries related to photography:

Ansel Adams: A Documentary Film (by Ric Burns)
    American Photography: A Century of Images (3 episodes)

Both were excellent and informative.

Does anyone have any other documentary recommendations specifically on the topic of photography? Related to photography?

For giggles and grins (on a different note), can anyone think of movies (not documentaries) that deal specifically with photography besides One Hour Photo?

Would love to hear thoughts.

Huram

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently watched " The City of God"
    One of the best movies i've ever seen. It is pretty much about this photojournalist kid and the gangs around him..

A must see for anyone...

hbc

Images
    PBS has a series called American Masters, I have seen one on Robert Capa, wich is great,there is also one on Walker Evans.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Definately not a doco ....

Quote Originally Posted by Huram
    ....For giggles and grins (on a different note), can anyone think of movies (not documentaries) that deal specifically with photography besides One Hour Photo?

Would love to hear thoughts.

Huram
    For something a bit more edge-of-the-seat, action filled. How 'bout Spy Game - Retiring CIA agent Robert Redford plays against the CIA politics to free Brad (Someoneorother) a War Photographer from a Chinese prison. It's got it all: Redford and Pitt for the girls and big action thrills for the boys .... and a photographer ...... kind of ..... well there is one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    documentary - Brett Weston: Photographer by Art Wright available on DVD
    Film - Blow Up recently released on DVD
    Smoke with Harvey Keitell & William Hurt
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    HBO occasionaly runs an hour special called "The Greatest Photos in Sports" which is quite good. I'm not all that big on sports, but I made sure to get it on the DVR last time it aired.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a great video at home by Art Wolfe - "Art Wolfe - On Location Video". He used to be one of my favorite photographers, until he drank of the digital koolaide. He still has good images though.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of our stations recently (that's last year!) ran a series various photographic related docos including several mentioned already. One you'd like Robert, is called 'Wilderness' and is about two Tasmanian photogs (names escape me but I think it was Peter Dombroski and Olga Troganis-something-or-other.. spelling in all cases very suspect!) who photographed the wilderness of Tasmania and I think helped getting some of it declared off limits to logging or daming a river. Another was about a homeless guy in Sydney. Peter someone. I'm good with names It followed him from taking pics in his environment thru to his 1st exhibition. They also showed little doco's which I tyhink was called 'shots' which showed how a particular shot (not famous ones... mostly commercial stuff) had been made. Also quite interesting.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    One you'd like Robert, is called 'Wilderness' and is about two Tasmanian photogs (names escape me but I think it was Peter Dombroski and Olga Troganis-something-or-other.. spelling in all cases very suspect!) who photographed the wilderness of Tasmania and I think helped getting some of it declared off limits to logging or daming a river.
    Thanks Nige,

I'm familiar with the late Peter Dombrovskis, his work is quite fantastic, and one of the reasons Tasmania is on my list of must visit places. Another good photographer from Tasmania is Geoff Murray.

BTW, I'll be in Echuca on Wednesday evening (the 22nd).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Thanks Nige,

I'm familiar with the late Peter Dombrovskis, his work is quite fantastic, and one of the reasons Tasmania is on my list of must visit places. Another good photographer from Tasmania is Geoff Murray.

BTW, I'll be in Echuca on Wednesday evening (the 22nd).
    My spelling wasn't that far off

Was up at Wangaratta on the weekend, there's a lot of water around. Creeks I've never seen water in were flowing freely! I think the Murray will be quite high... don't fall in, you'll be in S.A. before you know it! Unfortunately Echuca (4hr drive) and mid week don't work for me... sadly I have to work. Have a good time... hope the light falls right!

Nige.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin