Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,103   Online: 802

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Musings

Shooter
    Large Format

New Musings

Wrote an article,which Brooks Jensen declined to use. So I put it on my web site.

"Old Guys." http://www.circleofthesunproductions...ts/OldGuys.pdf

Enjoy, I hope!
    Bruce Barlow
    author, "Finely Focused" and "More Finely Focused"
    www.bwbarlow.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce:

Thanks, it makes a good, entertaining and thought-provoking read.

I think I should make a point of re-reading it this coming June, when I turn 55.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're both kids! I didn't seriously take up this hobby until after I was 55. It's still a good read. Made me think I should do something about my own indolence - as soon as the snow melts
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Antonio Carlos Jobim at about age 60 began performing internationally with a new band. Instead of the large, lush orchestras that had performed his music in the past, Banda Nova consisted of one cello, one flute, drums, guitar, bass, piano and five female singers. He performed everything from his early bossa nova hits to his later movie scores and tone poems. He recorded his last album only weeks before he died at age 67. How did he stay innovative, while so many get stale? A good question, Bruce.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I turn 60 in about two months. I shall celebrate that by (among other things) retiring from my day job. I have been looking forward to this for a long time, as I will now be able to jetison the "necessary evil" of the vocation and have more time for my avocations. I have a just recently completed darkroom. I have a new dslr. (sorry apug) I have ideas for new photo projects that have never gotten started due to "time".

And, I am a much better printer than I was five years ago. I am looking forward to digging out 20, 30 and even 40 year old negatives to see what secrets have been hidden in them all these years. Life has never been better.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's great to hear I'm 57!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Winston Churchill wasn't the British prime minister until he was sixty five, and for an old man he did quite well.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be sliding into 60 soon enough. I've been shooting and developing since I was eleven or twelve, I still love the mystery and process. Every so often I take a short respite from my cameras, but then find myself missing my old friends. Its like being married for years, then finding something new about your wife, and loving her even more for it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nice article

Motivated me to see your website and buy your cd book too

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So there is hope for me! I've just started getting serious and will be turning 52 soon. I worry that I won't be able to compete with the youngsters in either the analog or the digital fields. I don't really consider myself "An Old Gal" yet. Maybe others do, does that matter? I've also taken up soccer reffing. Age wise, I'm right in the middle, however out of 260 refs for high school in my district, there are only 5 gals. So, I don't think I'm too old ... yet there is a small amount of niggling doubt sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin