Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,633   Online: 1127

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Richard Prince wins with more publicity.... and the price of his existing art just rose again.

The photographer is made to look like a raincloud on the parade.

I have been in similar situations were a designer puts some graphic splooches on a photograph and a little type and wins a "big local award" for the poster and forgets to mention who took the photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right, Matt.
    Prince's lawyers were using whatever angle they could think of. Clearly an attempt to distort the meaning of the compilation concept. A photograph is not a book of trig tables. It makes as much sense as plagiarizing a biography or history, adding to it slightly, and then deeming the original book a mere compilation of facts.
    It is of course revolting that Prince would be willing to crassly remove all artistic value from another's work, but then he was willing to rip off the work in the first place, so I guess it's no surprise.

How disastrous it would be if that compilation assertion prevailed. Would an unmanipulated landscape shot be a mere compilation? A straight, natural light portrait? A war photographer's work?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Richard Prince wins with more publicity.... and the price of his existing art just rose again.

The photographer is made to look like a raincloud on the parade.

I have been in similar situations were a designer puts some graphic splooches on a photograph and a little type and wins a "big local award" for the poster and forgets to mention who took the photograph.
    But Richard Prince could be financially ruined and this decision could, hopefully will be, career ending.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd like to see him discredited to the point he becomes the Prince formerly known as an artist.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The issue is clearly not fair use. The "compilation of mere facts" is usually reserved for a data sets. Photographs do not fall under that provision. Nothing in copyright judges "quality" as an issue of ownership, just the creation of a work.

In other good new, the Google Book Settlement was torpedoed. Google is evil and the good won in this case. And the judge threw out the idea that the copyright holders could be a class that Google could settle with. But be careful if Google tries to lobby congress to alter copyright protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I'd like to see him discredited to the point he becomes the Prince formerly known as an artist.
    Clever.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure where the dollar values in the article come from. If you create something like that which is worthless and destroy it, you have lost nothing. The arbitrary 'value' of these works reeks of the same disillusioned mindset that described Norsigian prints as being worth millions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't believe that happen! That blew my mind away.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'm not sure where the dollar values in the article come from.
    I believe they were the values assigned by the gallery based on pending sales.

Shepard Fairey used a photograph of Andre the Giant (just watched Exit Through the Gift Shop, he's one of the artists) for his principal piece. Is his use of someone elses work less egregious than Prince's because he only used a portion of it and manipulated it to the point where I had no idea it was Andre until I saw the movie? I'm not sure if the two scenarios can be compared or not. I guess I need to look up "Fair Use" as applied to copyright law.

Matt, thanks for clearing up the meaning behind the lawyer's comment. I should have gone to law school like my mother wanted. The way it was printed shows whose side The Guardian is on.

After looking at Prince's Canal Zone again I can understand why Cariou sued. It sucks, in my uneducated, vulgar, crude, uncouth, ill-bred, I don't get it, opinion.

Raul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If you create something like that which is worthless and destroy it, you have lost nothing.
    Equally, if you create something which is potentially worth millions and destroy, you have lost nothing.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin