Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,158   Online: 1074

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Right, Matt.
    Prince's lawyers were using whatever angle they could think of. Clearly an attempt to distort the meaning of the compilation concept. A photograph is not a book of trig tables. ... How disastrous it would be if that compilation assertion prevailed.
    Particularly since, as the judge in the case noted, it's been a matter of settled case law for the better part of a century that photographs are original works in the meaning of copyright law. To base your defense on a theory that was dispensed with decades ago is really weak.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm betting the photographer who did the real work would rather have the 10m in cash.
    -rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this doesn't really change much in the grand scheme of things.
    he'll still make his artwork and still sell it .. and he'll just be
    more careful of whose work he uses as the foundation of HIS images ..
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Particularly since, as the judge in the case noted, it's been a matter of settled case law for the better part of a century that photographs are original works in the meaning of copyright law. To base your defense on a theory that was dispensed with decades ago is really weak.
    I expect that the argument wasn't an attempt to upset the case law, but rather an attempt to distinguish that case law by characterizing Patrick Cariou's work as something so mundane as to not be entitled to protection.

The argument might work if the "purloined" photographs came from something like, as an example, a mall security camera.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    From the Gardian article
    "Prince has often made a virtue of his appropriation art.... He told Art Forum magazine in 2003: "I had limited technical skills regarding the camera. Actually, I had no skills … I used a cheap commercial laboratory to blow up the pictures … I never went in a darkroom."

"Prince's lawyers had told Deborah Batts, a federal judge sitting in Manhattan, that Cariou's photographs of Rastafarians, taken over six years, were "mere compilations of facts … arranged with minimum creativity … [and were] therefore not protectable" by copyright law."

Frankly, Prince's arrogance is staggering and one would hope that not only will ne have to destroy his copies of the Cariou photograph’s, as already ordered, but will also refund the sales to art patrons that purchased his frauds then finally pay a very hefty settlement to Mr. Cariou.

Perhaps the art patrons that were fooled by Prince should buy the real thing this time.
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is what I find most galling about Prince. He is willing, to protect himself and his income stream, to assert the works of another are without artistic merit until he modifies them, after which they are worth millions. He is an amoral scumbag charlatan.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    That is what I find most galling about Prince. He is willing, to protect himself and his income stream, to assert the works of another are without artistic merit until he modifies them, after which they are worth millions. He is an amoral scumbag charlatan.
    Of course, you've got to wonder what kind of an idiot would separate themselves from a cool couple of million to own one. I don't think much of anyone throwing around that kind of cash to buy that kind of art.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wow! How do you guys feel about Sherrie Levine?

As with all the pictures generation artists the concern is not with originality but rather with the multi-valence of the image and the cultural effects of its consumption. In regards to this relationship, Prince is a trickster and in many ways his work presages the debates surrounding originality, content and ownership that have been so prevalent in the digital era. What value you assign to Prince's artistic practice is really beside the point.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There is a difference in purpose between Prince and Levine. Levine's entire concept was that the work she stole may be famous, but not original in a world saturated with images. Prince stole the work because he is too lazy to make it himself. And he is 30 years too late with the idea of false originality. While I don't like Levine's work, she was at least original in the idea for the time it was done. Prince doesn't have that excuse.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Moot point.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin