Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,729   Online: 891

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    This post seems to go hand in hand with the forum on sites photographed to death.(locations worked to excess? in the geopgaphic locations forum)
    The human race (mostly) seems to needs freshness and new (some resist change to their dying breath). they quickly tire of "the same old" and seek the new "never seen or done before".
    I don't care if artists make art I don't like or if (IMO)fools want to pay money for said art. I just ignore it and have stopped visiting many galleries. I'm just jealous that these (IMO) fools are NOT paying for mine
    Just because I wouldn't call it art, doesn't mean it isn't. After all I'm just a photographer... well.. uhm, I do own a camera...

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have to agree with bjorke. Art has moved on past what you may want it to be.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to admit that sometimes when it comes to a piece of art, I just don't "get it". On the other hand it is sort of funny, borrowing from the post about AA bashing, that the very same people who are rebels can over the years become the very thing the next group of rebels wants to "break free" from. AA and the F64 group were the rebels of their time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The world is a circular bus route. The bus just hasn't got back to the stop yet where we want to get off and enjoy the view.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The problem with the "I just don't go to galleries" issue is that this is exactly why art has fallen from grace, so to speak.

Historically, we have taken several steps BACKWARDS in the acceptance of art. It used to be that to own a piece of fine art was something almost everyone (well, the middle class everyones) desired.

Now it seems that people are content with a print of an impressionist work from "Posters R Us."

Something changed.

Owned art used to mean something. Now, to many people it means nothing. Only a small group of people actually buy the stuff and desire it.

And if you ask many people they simply say "I don't 'get' art."

I think in the drive to throw off conventions, the art world threw off their audience!

You can do unconventional things AND more "populous" art at the same time.

By the way, that line is enough to have me labeled as a heretic by many.

The system teaches now two things -

1- Be "out there" and "make statements" above ALL ELSE.
    2- You can only do ONE THING.

A recipe for ruin.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was a TV programme today that included an item on 'offensive' material" and discussed if art was an exception for censorship.

Interestingly the subject of the difference between Leonardo da Vinci's David and Yoko Ono's breast pictures on banners along a high street came up. One of the "art critics" basically stated that the difference was Leonardo da Vinci is talented and Yoko Ono isn't

To me it implied if the art critic(s) consider you talented you can do what you like and it's still art

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy

The system teaches now two things -

1- Be "out there" and "make statements" above ALL ELSE.
    2- You can only do ONE THING.

A recipe for ruin.
    Do not listen. Here's a great artist who didn't.

http://www.frederickhart.com/display.htm#
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    To me it implied if the art critic(s) consider you talented you can do what you like and it's still art
    Or, the more outrageous or bizarre it is, the more talent the artist seemingly has. Is all this done at the behest of doing "something that hasn't been done before?" Is it really the critics and academics that have pushed it over the wall?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    The world is a circular bus route. The bus just hasn't got back to the stop yet where we want to get off and enjoy the view.
    great metaphor, but maybe we're just looking out the wrong window.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To me it implied if the art critic(s) consider you talented you can do what you like and it's still art.
    Well, ad the words "gallery owners and academics" and you have the state of the arts today.....

I LOVE the Frederick Hart site. Great work. Of course I'm sure it is derided as "too pedestrian" by those who seek to elevate a guy who welded some scrap together above a true master.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin