Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,416   Online: 1132

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It seems to me the best compromise, other than not running the photo at all, would have been to "redact" the two women. What I mean is completely black them out as though silhouettes. They are then not pictured, but not removed, either. But I admit I am ignorant as to what is tolerable to Hassidic audiences.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ishutteratthethought View Post
    ok...i confess....I am not
    Then stop embarrassing yourself. You don't have a dog in this fight, if indeed it is a "fight." Perhaps the moderators can close this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Smack of Stalinism, but then Far right and Far left are almost one & the same anyway.

If people don't like reality then they have the right to opt out but not publish lies by doctoring copy-write images.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with erikg.

People have the right to believe any religion they wish, or none, as long as it harms no one. Arguments pro-theism or pro-atheism are moot because one cannot prove nor disprove the existence of a Divine Being (or Beings), and any supposed evidence for either case is therefore a subjective matter.

That said, Der Tzitung violated original photographer Pete Souza's copyright by altering the image. Photoshopping the women out of the photo is an alteration of the original and thus a violation of copyright, and is also possibly an act of photographic libel, misrepresenting the facts of the news story. If the newspaper would not print images of the women in the photograph because the paper's religious slant prohibits doing so (or for any reason, really), then the photograph should have either not been used, or the women should have been censored: blacked out to simply show that although they were part of the photograph, they could not be shown.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably the best thing to do in the case of most religious idiocies is to roll your eyes and continue as normal.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    I agree with erikg.

People have the right to believe any religion they wish, or none, as long as it harms no one. Arguments pro-theism or pro-atheism are moot because one cannot prove nor disprove the existence of a Divine Being (or Beings), and any supposed evidence for either case is therefore a subjective matter.

That said, Der Tzitung violated original photographer Pete Souza's copyright by altering the image. Photoshopping the women out of the photo is an alteration of the original and thus a violation of copyright, and is also possibly an act of photographic libel, misrepresenting the facts of the news story. If the newspaper would not print images of the women in the photograph because the paper's religious slant prohibits doing so (or for any reason, really), then the photograph should have either not been used, or the women should have been censored: blacked out to simply show that although they were part of the photograph, they could not be shown.
    Unbelievable. Any idea what the circulation of Der Tzitung is? Talk about typhoons in a teacup. Any clue why the photo was altered?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The photo was altered because it was potentially "sexually suggestive". I thought the most ironic aspect of the editing is that several religious scholars have suggested it violates another tenet of that religion prohibiting "deceipt". Pick your poison.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Then stop embarrassing yourself. You don't have a dog in this fight, if indeed it is a "fight." Perhaps the moderators can close this?
    It is not a fight my friend, it is the altering of a historical photograph to appease the editors of a newspaper. This paper is not reporting news but attempting to alter it to their liking...sound familiar?

You seem to be upset, I was just delivering the article because I believe it was unethical and would be an intersting topic, and for the moderator to close this, i would think it would be unlikely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Unbelievable. Any idea what the circulation of Der Tzitung is? Talk about typhoons in a teacup. Any clue why the photo was altered?
    Doesn't matter. They had no right to do so.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I saw the title I thought someone had a photo of Bill minus Monica!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin