Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,416   Online: 1132
      
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45
  1. #11
    Greg Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Crestview Hills, KY
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,950
    It seems to me the best compromise, other than not running the photo at all, would have been to "redact" the two women. What I mean is completely black them out as though silhouettes. They are then not pictured, but not removed, either. But I admit I am ignorant as to what is tolerable to Hassidic audiences.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

    Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

    "No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

  2. #12
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by ishutteratthethought View Post
    ok...i confess....I am not
    Then stop embarrassing yourself. You don't have a dog in this fight, if indeed it is a "fight." Perhaps the moderators can close this?

  3. #13
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,394
    Images
    148
    Smack of Stalinism, but then Far right and Far left are almost one & the same anyway.

    If people don't like reality then they have the right to opt out but not publish lies by doctoring copy-write images.

    Ian

  4. #14
    Ottrdaemmerung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    258
    Images
    5
    I agree with erikg.

    People have the right to believe any religion they wish, or none, as long as it harms no one. Arguments pro-theism or pro-atheism are moot because one cannot prove nor disprove the existence of a Divine Being (or Beings), and any supposed evidence for either case is therefore a subjective matter.

    That said, Der Tzitung violated original photographer Pete Souza's copyright by altering the image. Photoshopping the women out of the photo is an alteration of the original and thus a violation of copyright, and is also possibly an act of photographic libel, misrepresenting the facts of the news story. If the newspaper would not print images of the women in the photograph because the paper's religious slant prohibits doing so (or for any reason, really), then the photograph should have either not been used, or the women should have been censored: blacked out to simply show that although they were part of the photograph, they could not be shown.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    623
    Probably the best thing to do in the case of most religious idiocies is to roll your eyes and continue as normal.

  6. #16
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    I agree with erikg.

    People have the right to believe any religion they wish, or none, as long as it harms no one. Arguments pro-theism or pro-atheism are moot because one cannot prove nor disprove the existence of a Divine Being (or Beings), and any supposed evidence for either case is therefore a subjective matter.

    That said, Der Tzitung violated original photographer Pete Souza's copyright by altering the image. Photoshopping the women out of the photo is an alteration of the original and thus a violation of copyright, and is also possibly an act of photographic libel, misrepresenting the facts of the news story. If the newspaper would not print images of the women in the photograph because the paper's religious slant prohibits doing so (or for any reason, really), then the photograph should have either not been used, or the women should have been censored: blacked out to simply show that although they were part of the photograph, they could not be shown.
    Unbelievable. Any idea what the circulation of Der Tzitung is? Talk about typhoons in a teacup. Any clue why the photo was altered?

  7. #17
    36cm2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northeast U.S.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    575
    The photo was altered because it was potentially "sexually suggestive". I thought the most ironic aspect of the editing is that several religious scholars have suggested it violates another tenet of that religion prohibiting "deceipt". Pick your poison.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

  8. #18
    ishutteratthethought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis Minnesota USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    772
    Images
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Then stop embarrassing yourself. You don't have a dog in this fight, if indeed it is a "fight." Perhaps the moderators can close this?
    It is not a fight my friend, it is the altering of a historical photograph to appease the editors of a newspaper. This paper is not reporting news but attempting to alter it to their liking...sound familiar?

    You seem to be upset, I was just delivering the article because I believe it was unethical and would be an intersting topic, and for the moderator to close this, i would think it would be unlikely.

  9. #19
    erikg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    pawtucket rhode island usa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,433
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Unbelievable. Any idea what the circulation of Der Tzitung is? Talk about typhoons in a teacup. Any clue why the photo was altered?
    Doesn't matter. They had no right to do so.

  10. #20
    Alan W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    378
    Images
    61
    When I saw the title I thought someone had a photo of Bill minus Monica!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin