Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,550   Online: 893

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Orthodox Jewish paper apologizes for doctored pic
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110509/...doctored_photo

The paper said Monday that its photo editor had not read the "fine print" accompanying the White House photo that forbade any changes. The paper says it has sent its "regrets and apologies" to the White House and State Department.

An editor at another weekly that covers Jewish issues addressed why the paper might have altered the image. The Forward managing editor Lil Swanson says some ultra-Orthodox Jews refuse to run photos of women because they believe such images are "immodest."
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ishutteratthethought View Post
    It is not a fight my friend, it is the altering of a historical photograph to appease the editors of a newspaper. This paper is not reporting news but attempting to alter it to their liking...sound familiar?

You seem to be upset, I was just delivering the article because I believe it was unethical and would be an intersting topic, and for the moderator to close this, i would think it would be unlikely.
    Ever consider before posting how many people saw the original relative to the doctored version? Think you need to review it from that perspective instead of faking outrage over a non-issue.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I suppose it as much as a policy/belief of considering it immodest to have women seen as equals with, and working with, men in the political and social spheres as it is a case of sexual/gender modesty.

But as CGW suggested, it is a newspaper put out by and for the faithful of this particular sect of the Jewish faith. The newspaper has apologized to the White House and State Department, and the lessons have hopefully been learned. I personally have learned a little by this thread being started, for which I thank ishutteratthethought.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If anyone is curious about the actual issues involved, then look at the comments under the "Failed Messiah" blog entry I linked above, and be prepared to Google a few words that may be unfamiliar. To understand the context of the blog, recognize that there are many different orthodox Jewish sects that have differing views on many issues (for instance they don't all have the same standards for what is kosher, and some will not buy meat from a butcher outside their group, even if many other groups would consider said butcher to be strictly kosher), and the blog is authored by a dissenter and attracts readers and comments of other Jews who grew up Orthodox and in many cases consider themselves to be observant Jews, but they may reject the insularity or other aspects of the group they were brought up in.

One thing I do wonder about is that if they regarded the image of Hillary Clinton to be "immodest"--hard to believe as it may be, but after all, she is a woman revealing her own natural hair in the presence of men outside her immediate family, and this isn't condoned among readers of Der Tzitung (transliterations from Yiddish vary--Tzitung/Tzeitung/or German Zeitung)--why, as suggested above, didn't they just black or pixelate her out, rather than Photoshopping her as if she wasn't there. Heck, they could have even Photoshopped a sheitel onto her head, if they were going to go to such an extent. Would it be more dishonest to suggest that Hillary Clinton wears a sheitel than that she wasn't in the room?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neither the photographers "copywrite" or the terms under which the photo is made available are an issue in this case. It is a photo made by a government photographer paid for by taxes, when released it is in the public domain.

Despite the publication's backpedaling regarding the terms, the manipulation would be considered protected speech and the terms are unenforceable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post
    Neither the photographers "copywrite" or the terms under which the photo is made available are an issue in this case. It is a photo made by a government photographer paid for by taxes, when released it is in the public domain.

Despite the publication's backpedaling regarding the terms, the manipulation would be considered protected speech and the terms are unenforceable.

1. The photographs are not in the public domain.
    2. The photographs are copyrighted.
    3. There are legally binding conditions for use.
    4. The copyright is enforceable.

So you are 100% wrong on at least four counts.

This might be a good time to gracefully back out.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Update from the Washington post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...bVYG_blog.html

Peace
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Washington Post blog post above acknowledges that the government indeed cannot hold copyright.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK 4 - 1 = 3
    But the conditions of use are actionable.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    ......the conditions of use are actionable........
    Exactly. The newspaper has violated the terms of use. Period.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin