Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,509   Online: 769

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fears

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rakuhito
    more a reaction than anything else, but for what it's worth, i've always felt photography was sort of creepy - particularly in a public space when the pictures are of people and things and events not related to the photographer. i mean i always wonder why a person needs a photograph of what they can already see and are enjoying in the present. but that's just me.

okay. back to the regularly scheduled programming.
    For me I quess the answer is because the picture is there and I've always felt it's part of a photographers responsibility to record moments of history (no matter how common a scene at the time) for future generations. But maybe I'm just being pompus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, Tony, I do not think you are being 'pompus'! People who take photos of "people and things and events not related to the photographer" are photojournalists - sometimes paid, sometimes it's just the nature of the person. For example...this past weekend there was an competition near where I live of Icelandic horses. I would have LOVED to have gone there & taken photos! Have you ever seen these horses?? They are beautiful! Anyway, I don't know anyone who has one and I've never riden competitively...I don't think I'm some sort of oddball because I would have liked to have taken a few rolls of film of this event...(I may be an oddball, but it has nothing to do with that ). I think people who like to take endless rolls of film of women with no clothes are a bit on the odd side...but I also think they are creating something that can be beautiful. It's not my cup of Rodinal, but to each his own!
    I think the original point...about how frightened people have become is a valid one. It's a natural reaction...every day you hear about kids gone missing, child molesters who were pillars of the community...it's no wonder parents get scared when they see someone they do not know taking pictures of kids! As a parent and grandparent, it would get MY attention...and I have 'exposure' (no pun intended) to the photographic community. I think if I were going to shoot some photos at a playground of my (grand)kids, and there were other kids & parents there I would go to them first, introduce myself, point out my little darlings & explain what I am about to do. Just to ease their minds. If I have a card, Iwould give it to them. If I get their kids in a shot, I would send it to them. The way to conquer fear of the unknown...is to turn it into the known.
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jeanette,

Thank you your too kind too me

I agree that introductions are very important and when I have a camera in my hand I take on the persona of an outgoing confident person. Being chatty is something I love when I'm out shooting so will often just make casual comment to someone nearby to see if I can start a conversation. That then gives me the chance to say what I'm doing and sometimes why. I never consider that I'm explaining out of an obligation but as a matter of courtesy. It's amazing how many new "friends" I have made this way and before I was married was a great way to get dates errrm back to the subject. When someone is openly taking pictures even though I hate my picture taken I am much more relaxed than when someone is lurking with a camera as it makes me suspicious in the first place.

I love looking at the classics on the Magnum site and they frequently bring back memories of childhood and more importantly the happy ones. Although my parents didn't drink, sending the children to the corner shop to collect some beer was common. At the time the picture was taken (come on someone remind me who it was) it must have looked un-interesting to passers by, but looking back now it's a rare moment in history for us all to see and enjoy.

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Jeanette,

Thank you your too kind too me ...

...I love looking at the classics on the Magnum site and they frequently bring back memories of childhood and more importantly the happy ones. Although my parents didn't drink, sending the children to the corner shop to collect some beer was common. At the time the picture was taken (come on someone remind me who it was) it must have looked un-interesting to passers by, but looking back now it's a rare moment in history for us all to see and enjoy.

Tony
    No problem, Tony! I just call them how I see them! You know us Americans! haha
    Was that a shot done by Cartier-Besson??? I think it was a young boy carrying a couple bottles of wine. Great shot! I love those shots.
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    No problem, Tony! I just call them how I see them! You know us Americans! haha
    Was that a shot done by Cartier-Besson??? I think it was a young boy carrying a couple bottles of wine. Great shot! I love those shots.
    Jeanette
    Jeanette,

Thank you that's the way I like em, maybe a throwback to having an American girlfriend when I was 14 LOL Yes that was the name in my head but I'm so hopeless at names I didn't want to commit myself without a prompt and I'm in the middle of the dusting & vaccing at the moment so didn't have time to check

It really is a Great Shot and I get the feeling of being there whenever I see it.

Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The reason i asked the legal question is because i have been asked to photograph a neighbours children and i prefer the candid approach (inspired by cheryl). I also spent last weekend walking around the paddocks at Donington Park talking what I hope are some bresson-like candids of the world around a bike race.
    I am sick and tired of hearing about peoples over-reaction and self-righteous indignation which, to me, smack of trouble for the sake of causing trouble. I get it whenever I ride my bike and now I'n going to get whenever I take pictures. God knows what will happen if I lashed my camera to the front of the bike and rode past someone pushing a pram :o.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's simply not reasonable to say that "the amount of abductions, pedophiles, the dangers from predators" justifies the way we're behaving.

Ian[/QUOTE]

In the US we now have an Amber Alert system for a quick public alarm if a child is abducted, and Megan's Law which essentially states that a convicted child sex offender has to have his address registerd with the police where they live.

It was named for a little girl who was stalked by a neighbor, abducted and murdered. I cannot imagine the torture, terror and horror that child felt as she was being killed, and dying with the face of a madman staring at her. Just to have these laws in front of the public eye, is more then enough to keep parents on guard.

There have been a rash of child abductions and murders over the past 10 years and as far as I am concerned, it only takes one to make me shiver in disgust and fear for the little children.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sparx
    The reason i asked the legal question is because i have been asked to photograph a neighbours children and i prefer the candid approach (inspired by cheryl). I also spent last weekend walking around the paddocks at Donington Park talking what I hope are some bresson-like candids of the world around a bike race.
    I am sick and tired of hearing about peoples over-reaction and self-righteous indignation which, to me, smack of trouble for the sake of causing trouble. I get it whenever I ride my bike and now I'n going to get whenever I take pictures. God knows what will happen if I lashed my camera to the front of the bike and rode past someone pushing a pram :o.
    I know Donington Park quite well and as the great sooty said "easy peasy lemon squeezy" you shouldn't have any problems there. There's many wonderful compositions available to you there as you will have found out, so happy shooting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RAP
    There have been a rash of child abductions and murders over the past 10 years and as far as I am concerned, it only takes one to make me shiver in disgust and fear for the little children.
    Not sure there has been any real increase in the UK over the years if you know and think back to the moors murders in what was it the late 60's? I do agree its a disgusting life committed by lowlife.

That said it is unlikely that many paediophiles wanting to take pictures of children will do it openly and in close proximity. As I said I was in the police and when we wanted observation pictures we used the longest focal length we could find and shot from a distance / location where no one could see us. Also meant if we were seen we could leg it without having to explain what we were doing or who were were which would have messed everything up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have read where there has not been an increase in child abductions only an increase in reporting. This could be attributed to the media doing a better job, but I have also read that the increase was found almost solely in abductions of white, middle-class girls. This could be attributed to the media's desired demographic and the business rule "if it bleeds it leads."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin