Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,005   Online: 773

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Fears

Ust an after thought, I am a woman, that may make a big difference too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by inthedark
    You may have a point there. I wa going to go out this weekend and photo some fall color and such, plus the kites should be out in the parks. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Good luck and happy shooting, but tread carfully

Well, TP, I'm not gracious enough to tread carefully. If someone is in public, they are likely to be photographed by any number of sources much more threatening than I, with all of the "safety" cameras in our lives now. Given that anyone does call the cops, one of my favorite customers is a detective on the police force. . .one call to him and my legitimate livelihood will be confirmed.

But it suffices to say that everyone is going crazy when the truth be told, and it was mentioned here earlier, most cell phones would be a much more clandestine way to photo for inappropriate reasons. IE digital users are more likely to be dangerous than analog users who have to go to all the obvious trouble of "setting up"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep knowing someone in the police is very useful, as I was one myself once I agree it's a good source of proof

On the second point I did do a posting quite similar but it was one of those lost when we changed servers. Didn't have the energy to re-type it.

Look forward to seeing some of your results from the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting discussion.

I think it goes without saying that women have a much easier time with this than men. Doesn't mean we're always off the hook where parents are concerned, but I think we present much less of a perceived threat.

Most of my candids were taken with prior parental consent. I tend to like to photograph the children in my neighborhood. I've talked with the parents of all the neighborhood kids, and explained my work, directing them to my website. Without exception, every one of them has given me permission to photograph their kids should a situation ever present itself. That allows me to shoot candidly and freely without crossing any comfort zones with the parents.

Where children are concerned, I think there's a wide gap between what's legal and what's kind. While I obviously don't agree with people assaulting photographers, I totally understand parents' concerns with an unknown person pointing their lens at my child. I think any responsible parent would question the photographer, which of course is their right.

Although I have a legal right to photograph people in public (which does not necessarily include the right to sell or publish the images) I don't photograph any children without asking the parents' permission first. I just consider it a courtesy. I've never been turned down when I've asked. I always have business cards on me, which helps a lot, and I'm very conscious of my facial expressions and body language. I find it easy to blend in with the kids and, because of the nature of my work, I'm good at looking very non-threatening both to adults and kids. Kinda hard to feel threatened by a goofy-looking girl wearing a T-shirt with a monkey on it, carrying a reasonably sized non-stealth camera. Now, if I was a man dressed in head-to-toe black with sunglasses and a big pack of camera gear thrown over my shoulder -- well, not so good.

I just can't be too hard on parents for worrying about their kids. I won't defend the over-the-top reactions, but I understand the fears, and I don't want to cause them any anxiety.

- CJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by inthedark
    I never had any good shots because I took them all a little out of focus (a trick for artists to NOT try to copy too much detail)...
    I've seen this very same technique used quite a bit on Ebay....

-Will
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin