Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,523,000   Online: 1186

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fears

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fears

Was out looking for people in action shots for a class project on Saturday.
    Was passing through a park on my way over to a band stand where of all things, a band was setting up.
    A man and a woman came storming up to me and demanded to know why I was photographing children. Puzzeled, (not having taken any shots yet) I asked what they were talking about. The man turned red and started yelling how I was there to take pictures of thier kids playing and how I was a pervert and someone should call the police. At that point I had had enough and yelled back " The camera is turned off, the lens cap is still on and the film is still on frame number one, so PLEASE call the police so I can charge you with stupidity!" Thw woman clammed up, the man turned even redder and I thought he was about to attack me. I held up the camera, showed the lens cap then the shutter speed selector (which was on the big red "lock") and the frame counter. I then quietly said wait till someone actually commits a crime before you make accusations. I then proceeded over to the band shell where I shot two rolls of film, made a contact with the band to shot more(possibely). NowI'm die-ing to get back to class where we will develop it in 2 weeks.
    I understand some peoples fear of cameras and/or perverts, but but this was just to much.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    I understand some peoples fear of cameras and/or perverts, but but this was just to much.
    I agree, but it happens quite often. I was taking shots of a kid (for the parents) and another kid was on the playground at the same time. His father started accussing me for being a pervert too. But after some time of argueing he came down to earth again and was very interested in my camera and my joy of photography. He apologized and wanted to have me shooting his kid too. Then I had two jobs that day...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The paranioa is spreading throughtout the world it seems. I had this paragraph in an Email from a friend this week :

[color=navy]"Hey did you see all the stuff about the police arresting folks in London for taking pictures of children in the AP?[/color] (Amatuer Photographer Magazine) [color=navy]Crazy. They arrested this 70 year old dude, held him in custody for hours while they searched his address. They complimented him on his printing and resleased him!"[/color]

[color=black]I think we really are entering the darkages where in a few years people will not be able to see how children played and dressed today. A couple of years ago I had a mother scowling at me for taking pictures of my own child because her children where on the same beach. I told her I was shooting my own son and that hers would be out of focus, but if she wanted some of her kids then I'd be happy to supply details of my fee's. She soon kept her mouth shut![/color]
    Last edited by TPPhotog; 09-27-2004 at 06:42 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: used two different blues ... good job I shoot b&w

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My wife teaches second grade in Bath, a small town in northern Ohio. It is school policy that no child may be in a photograph taken by anyone including the teacher unless the child's parents have signed a release.

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    My wife teaches second grade in Bath, a small town in northern Ohio. It is school policy that no child may be in a photograph taken by anyone including the teacher unless the child's parents have signed a release.

John Powers
    Does that indicate there is no tv monitoring in the building or on the grounds?
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are cell-phones with cameras (that is, all new ones) also banned?
    Even when I did my year service in the army I had free reign with a cell phone
    (which included a camera) and I worked in the top-secret document office!

I find it rediculous and a clear indication of the corruption of societies.
    Such laws and attitude only hurt normal people and do nothing to the ones they
    are meant for. But I won't get into the discussion. It is pointless to discuss
    paranoia.

a.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Let me put it this way....

A while back, I was in the mall with the wife. I left her in some clothing store and headed over to the book store. On the way I came across a crying child who obviously lost.

Instead of helping him MYSELF, I went and got my wife.

Simply because of crap like this.

Welcome to the State of Paranoia.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have spent many years on soccer fields watching my daughter play and have seen many photo opportunities pass by because of this paranoia. I just didn't want the hassle of dealing with narrow-minded people and instead just enjoyed watching my daughter play.
    We may just be watching the death of unbiased (well, unsanctioned) cultural documantation.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    Let me put it this way....

A while back, I was in the mall with the wife. I left her in some clothing store and headed over to the book store. On the way I came across a crying child who obviously lost.

Instead of helping him MYSELF, I went and got my wife.

Simply because of crap like this.

Welcome to the State of Paranoia.
    I agree. It's aweful nowadays. Best intentions and all, the consequences of a simple misunderstanding can be tragic.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's stuff like what's posted in this thread that makes me really glad I'm a nature photographer who photographers trees, rocks, birds, and such way out of the view of other people.

I have photographed my son up at the park but there's never anyone there to worry or complain.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin