Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,458   Online: 756

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I have another suspicion though, now that I think about it. He's overweight. I think that's the reason he doesn't like it.
    Sounds like you solved the problem.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    But that memory could have been captured if you had asked FIRST. he would have most likely bowed out but the rest would have been there.
    No, I don't think it would have mattered. He simply doesn't want to be photographed. I didn't want the picture of two guys and an oddly empty chair, so there was no picture at all.

But enough of my personal failure. I had hoped to hear more reactions others had encountered. Wasn't really looking for advice on my situation.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    I photographed a wedding reception for a friend (the groom) a few years ago. He asked me to do it in a very candid style - no formal shots, just wander around the room and get photos of people having a party. There was one young woman there who consistently put her hand over her face whenever she thought she might be in my frame, even when she wasn't. After about three or four attempts to get photos in her part of the room, I thought about asking her if there was a problem, but then I thought better of it and just ignored her since she never confronted me directly (and I didn't print any negatives that included her).

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe some people is obsessed with the way they look and don't want to be portrayed with a dirty or misplaced hair. Somebody, you know, might see the picture and suspect they aren't perfect.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was shooting with a long lens on the street in NYC once. They allow(ed?) anyone there to sell books on the street without a license so, there were a lot of, shall we say, different folks, selling books off tables. I was leaning against a building, shooting way down the street, and one of the 'vendors' came screaming at me waving a book to stop taking his picture because I was CIA and he didn't want the CIA bothering him any more. The camera wasn't even pointed in his direction. After 30 seconds or so of screaming, he then went back to his table and got underneath it.

Being the sensitive, understanding soul that I am, I moved on before he came back ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do a lot of social/event photography... the people at these events usually welcome the attention.
    I have even been asked to photograph a funeral... that was kinda weird, but I did it, I had to explain that I was "official" to a few people who thought I was a nut.
    Right after the Princess Diana accident.. I was given harsh treatment for the few months afterward by younger women who though "paparatzi" killed Diana.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I very rarely do street photography, but if someone tells me not to take their photograph, I do not.

Steve
    I was threatened by a prisoner being hauled out of court... he lunged at me and said; I was next. He is still in prison I think.
    A DUI defendants family told me I would burn in hell for what I was doing (photographing their daughter on the stand) that had killed people in a DUI.
    I also photographed in a woman's prison for a day... I was humbled by that, and actually felt bad photographing some of the inmates. These inmates had no choice in me photographing them at work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i don't do it often ...
    i always remember a night that person i photographed w/o permission
    grabbed my camera, wouldn't give it back and threatened to beat me with it
    ... i try to keep that in mind when photographing people ... (that happened 25 years ago )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few years ago a 30-something beautiful person on the beach in LaJolla got all upset at me for taking a picture of her dog as it was joyfully running running around. How self-absorbed is that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was asked to photograph a Renewal of Vows ceremony at a nudist resort in 2007, there was almost assault and afray at one of the guests' tables I was asked to photograph when a portly man with snowy white hair reeled back as quickly as he could (pushing and shoving others around him out of the way). Two other guests also made themselves scant through polite shyness. It's part of my training that I don't question what people are doing or why — just wait for them to settle down or move off, then get on with the shoot. Later, after talking to the resort operator, I then found out the guy making the fuss was a Senior Sergeant at a country police station and was afraid of the repercussions of his photograph being seen by colleagues, or something worse being happened. I did go over it myself in my head afterwards: 'surely what people do in their private time has nothing to do with their professional time?'. The vast majority of naturists engaged in that past-time are not averse to being photographed or being published in magazines, but some that do not know you, or feel uncomfortable, can have an extreme reaction to the presence of a camera/photographer.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin