Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,577   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Extreme reactions people have to being photographed

I was at a conference recently and 4 of us conference-goers were sitting at a table chatting. These are three good guys so I got up to snap a picture - and one of them nearly fell over backwards trying to push his chair back, so he'd be out of the picture. I've never seen anyone that horrified to be photographed. The funny thing is, if I'd been doing it discreetly I'd probably got the picture.

What is so horrifying about being photographed? I do understand you can try to avoid being photographed. Some people do. But you simply can not escape it. Too many security cameras all over the place.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Usually, it's the camera that is horrified by me.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "I do understand you can try to avoid being photographed. Some people do. But you simply can not escape it."

Says who? You? What entitled you to make someone so obviously uncomfortable? If someone helps you "get" this don't be surprised if the tutorial proves to be a bit rough. Sometimes asking permission first works best.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Could be several reasons. Some people don't like seeing pictures of themselves; others feel it's an invasion of privacy (both are true for me). And of course some people are on the FBI's most wanted list and feel the need to be discrete (which doesn't apply to me, I think).

To me it seems like basic good manners to ask permission before you take a picture of a stranger in a place that they may feel is private, or if you're going to do it in a way that they may consider intrusive. If you're unobtrusive then there's a reasonable argument that if they don't notice then they've suffered no harm, and of course it's different with friends and when you're on the street.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    because it brujeria! and steals your soul
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Images
    Was it too hard to ask permission?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Maybe he told his significant other he was going to be elsewhere that weekend?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't like having mug shots of myself!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Witness protection program... or maybe he told his spouse he was hiking the Appalachian trail that weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not keen on my photo being taken, but I don't stop it as that would be 'double standards'. If someone asks me not to taske there photo then I would respect that wish. But otherwise I just take them. Its not always pos to ask before taking.
    Alan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin