Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,508   Online: 978

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Urban hipsters shoot analog? Must be a new craze in the US. It's visible here in the Melbourne suburban hippie strongholds of North Fitzroy and Brunswick. Around those traps it is TLRs with garish banjo straps attached, accessories by beaded dreadlocks, toe rings, nipple studs and spears through the ear(s).
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You might be right with some...

Quote Originally Posted by maliha View Post
    Retro is the new trend, and anything based upon just trend fades away just as fast.

Did I just say love and affection??? Passion too I suppose...
    Here's one retro affectation.

http://www.finepix-x100.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least it looks promincing!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats funny to read... I'm 17, and I live just north of San Fransisco, but i guess my cameras are all from the 60's and 70's, so it's not my grandparents old camera. I know a few kids who are passionate about film, and quite a few kids who take a photo class and work in the darkroom at school. I have yet to meet another person my own age who has a darkroom and processes their own stuff on their own (not at school). This is a start though. I guess I count as "urban hipster" as i am wearing urban outfitters at the moment...lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm an oldster (48) and I'm counting on your generation to keep film alive. You're an Urban Hipster and keeping the craft of analog photography alive.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Here's one retro affectation.

http://www.finepix-x100.com/
    Perfect example. Sadly, unlike a Leica M3, for example, it will be forgotten within 12-18 months to make room for the next "use it and throw it away" gadget. I'm still dying to see the new Cartier Bresson born out of the use of the Leica M9 but I'm afraid I will be kept waiting...but I digress here.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I wouldn't call myself a hipster, but I started shooting 4x5 film at the age of 19. It took me about 2 years with digital to realize that film was going to suit me much better. Now, 21, I shoot medium and large format film while my digital nikon is being lent to a friend, maybe once he gets the photography bug he'll switch to film too

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't be much surprised if the Fuji Finepix X-100 were to be followed by a film version. Remember Fuji sells film as well. Maybe they found there is a market for a camera without superfluous automatisms and programs of very dubious utility.

Instead of making just another digital, they could have brilliantly thought about making a camera the basic frames of which allows the installation of a film transport system. We have to see first whether the X-100 is a success. If it is (maybe in some next improved versions, this first attempt seems to have some glitches), then I would see as quite logical a film version of it.

That would be probably a cheaper camera than the digital one, would allow Fuji to use most of the same parts, would be marketable as a "trendy" camera, Leica-like etc. And it would be a nice manifesto encouraging people to rediscover good, old, basic photographic tools, film included.

A Trojan horse so to speak.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I wouldn't be much surprised if the Fuji Finepix X-100 were to be followed by a film version. Remember Fuji sells film as well. Maybe they found there is a market for a camera without superfluous automatisms and programs of very dubious utility.

Instead of making just another digital, they could have brilliantly thought about making a camera the basic frames of which allows the installation of a film transport system. We have to see first whether the X-100 is a success. If it is (maybe in some next improved versions, this first attempt seems to have some glitches), then I would see as quite logical a film version of it.

That would be probably a cheaper camera than the digital one, would allow Fuji to use most of the same parts, would be marketable as a "trendy" camera, Leica-like etc. And it would be a nice manifesto encouraging people to rediscover good, old, basic photographic tools, film included.

A Trojan horse so to speak.

Fabrizio
    Ciao Fabrizio,

I agree, wholeheartedly. Apparently, the X100 is selling like crazy but I don't know what that means. Fuji released the GF670 not long ago (which I ended up buying recently) so they certainly feel that there is a market for film cameras. A film version of the X100, at the right price point (ie, cheaper than the many good, non-Leica cameras), would probably sell well.

Ciao,

Massimo

Shooter
    35mm
    As one of the elderly hipsters (23) I can agree with certain aspects of the article. I certainly don't take any sort of extra pride in shooting film however. It's mostly a matter of economics & post-processing for me. Tangible, physical activity is a rather pleasant change of pace from spending ½ my day in front of a screen. The sense of accomplishment and control from start to finish is also much greater with film. Compared to a digital medium, film exudes a sense of craftsmanship & tradition that is becoming rarer than a hologon in modern culture. I really hope that I never meet a self-described “photoshop craftsmen.”

The idea of a film X100: That would be an extremely difficult undertaking. The only usable parts would be the top controls, the cast magnesium pieces, and maybe the optical part of the viewfinder. Most importantly the lens would also not work (only covers aps-c.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin