Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,568   Posts: 1,621,834   Online: 848

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

There's still hope for analog photography

I guess what was old is new again with kids.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20062810-93.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Kinda funny that the quote talks about film not being controlled.....which is why I choose to shoot film: control. Control over shutter, film speeds, develop, etc etc.

In my demographic (between 20-25) I have a lot of friends who have taken darkroom courses in HS before they all went digital and still are super passionate about both analog and digital. Oddly enough, I can think of only one friend in that age group that shoots digital exclusively. The rest use film for what I've heard called "things that matter". My intent is not to start another film vs. digital thread, but I believe given the proper exposure, many younger folk like the experience of using film over digital. Maybe we're getting bored with the instant-instant lifestyle.

I cannot believe I am about to type this.....go Hipsters!
    K.S. Klain

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm seeing this too but still think it's fated to be a nano-trend. Why? Finding even consumer film can be tough now, not to mention cheap C-41 dev/print services. Here in Toronto(GTA), Costco was the last source for passably good cheap processing until fall 2010 when they unplugged their last processor. What's truly catnip for this group is medium format once they see an 8x10 printed from a 645, 6x6, or 6x7 neg.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't shoot film because it's old, flawed, uncontrollable, and crappy-looking. But o well.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are some younger photographers are looking for the element of chance that film has to offer? Media savvy kids are tired be being fed a diet of "perfect" shots in magazines and allowing imperfections? I noticed there's a resurgence of collodion which looks more organic. Is that due to the digital revolution where people crave something that is real?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    will that mean the next generations will pick up tracing from camera obscuras or exclusivly do finger-painting instead of the 3D holography gadgets that are bound to come?
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Are some younger photographers are looking for the element of chance that film has to offer? Media savvy kids are tired be being fed a diet of "perfect" shots in magazines and allowing imperfections? I noticed there's a resurgence of collodion which looks more organic. Is that due to the digital revolution where people crave something that is real?
    That's what I find interesting. At least amongst my friends, there's a desire for something non-digital. Many have resorted to cell phone free weekends and turned to fancy cooking in a desire to possess something with real world tangibility.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    The only thing which bothers me is that many people shoot analog these days just to show off, it appears. Retro is the new trend, and anything based upon just trend fades away just as fast. However, I'm still hopeful. May be some of those who are now shooting to be trendy will actually fall in love with the medium, and start doing analog photography out of real love and affection!

Did I just say love and affection??? Passion too I suppose...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess you can get some sort of uncontrollability with film, if its past date, or stored weird, or cross processed. Hell randomness is fun sometimes, and sometimes mistakes work out for the better.

The other day I had to shoot a quick event for my boss, using her dslr, the the batteries ran out, I said I would shoot it in film instead, and heard a few gasps. And even a coworker coming up to me afterward telling me he had is Rebel to spare. The shots came out fine, and they look as good if not better than the dslr shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Urban hipsters shoot analog? Must be a new craze in the US. It's visible here in the Melbourne suburban hippie strongholds of North Fitzroy and Brunswick. Around those traps it is TLRs with garish banjo straps attached, accessories by beaded dreadlocks, toe rings, nipple studs and spears through the ear(s).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin