Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,430   Online: 1129

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I keep just about everything that makes it to the drying stage, haul it all out from time to time and think about dumping it, then stick it all back in the cupboard again!
    Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    I keep just about everything that makes it to the drying stage, haul it all out from time to time and think about dumping it, then stick it all back in the cupboard again!
    Steve
    I'm from the exact same school.

Roger

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It is kinda fun to take a 16x20 almost-there print and tear it in half in front of students and toss it in the recycling...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I slice interesting portions from them to make bookmarks. Friends love them.

A double weight fiber paper bookmark will last forever and feels and looks so good.

I'll do this with prints that are perfect except for a botched sky or toning mark, etc...

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    It is kinda fun to take a 16x20 almost-there print and tear it in half in front of students and toss it in the recycling...
    Tearing up "work prints", as opposed to finished proofs, is another matter. I almost never save them, unless I want to try some special technique or toning effect on a less than satisfactory finished print. My wife HATES to see me tear these up – as she judges them otherwise – but keeping them just complicates final fine print decision making.

On another note, it is local lore that a photographer seeking to establish a relationship with a LACMA curator, sent torn up pieces of work prints with notes written on them, as postcards, over a period of months, chronicling the project's process. (Geez – I hope I haven't given anyone here any ideas )
    Last edited by ROL; 05-17-2011 at 11:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    P.S. – I don't think the term "test print" is very clear in its meaning. For me a test print is the first print to determine basic exposure, leading to a proof. I save these, with printing notes on the back, along with the matching proof in my files. This greatly eases the scaling up of enlargements during the work print stage leading to a fine print (see Making a Proof). Everything else leading up to a fine print is normally discarded.
    Last edited by ROL; 05-17-2011 at 11:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes I save a few of the good test strips for bookmarks. What also makes a nice bookmark is a 35mm or 120 negative strip contact printed as a cyanotype. Nice bright color and texture and handcrafted feel.

Some of my test paper is big paper cut into 4x5" rough-sized pieces. Those and bigger pieces I let my kids color them with markers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    P.S. – I don't think the term "test print" is very clear in its meaning. For me a test print is the first print to determine basic exposure, leading to a proof. I save these, with printing notes on the back, along with the matching proof in my files. This greatly eases the scaling up of enlargements during the work print stage leading to a fine print (see Making a Proof). Everything else leading up to a fine print is normally discarded.

I've always been very loose with terminology. I consider anything other than my final print a "test print." BEing loose with terminology might not be a good thing, especially given the technical background of some folks here, but I do very little in the technical realms where perfect terminology is required.

When it takes more than one session to get a final print ready to hang on the wall (which is usually the case), I keep the test prints in chronological order to see my progress and to decide where I wanna go from there. After that, I've decided to get rid of the tests by bleaching out the silver and dropping it off at a hazardous waste dropoff (or my asshole neighbor's bushes )
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    makes me want to put an "amost there" print in my next student show and destroy it during the opening reception to see how many of the art students and instructors I can get to make this face --->
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin