Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,092   Online: 899

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

What do you do with test prints?

I've accumulated a lot of test prints over the last year and a half. Most of them dont have notes on them (I keep a sheet of paper in my print folders with printing notes written in pencil behind the print), and I dont know why I keep them. Since I had some bleach and clear bath for reversal processing black and white film that had been sitting around a while, I decided to bleach the silver out and pour it in the silver recovery bucket in my darkroom. I threw the bleached paper away. Obviously I wouldnt do that to an actual final print unless, years later, I decided the print was shit and didnt want to look at it anymore.

So, what does everyone else do with their test prints or f****d up prints? Throw them away or obsessivly store them or something else?

Just curious.
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sold my last one for $3.8 million. Other than that I write notes on them and keep them for dodge/burn reference.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most I pitch, but I save a few to make burn masks and dodging tools. If I have one that is a little too dark, I might try some sort of bleach-toning if I think it might be interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do sell a couple of my OK second prints for a few bucks. Our city has these "gallery walks" Nobody will buy a $40.00 or $200.00 item, but occasionally I sell a print for $5.00. I make my living doing serious commercial photography.

Others I throw away. I "buried" a few in a time capsule I placed in the 140 year-old building I own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are good for "test" purposes when I'm planning on toning.

I sometimes write exposure notes on them and file them with the negatives.

Otherwise, they go into the recycling bin.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I wipe my bum with them.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Since mine are briefly fixed, washed for about a minute then dried in a microwave for evaluation they are pretty much worthless for anything after I'm done with them. They get tossed. Sometimes I do wash some of them for guinea pigs for toning.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I "obsessively", compulsively, or cannily(?) save all my test prints (proofs) in file folders numbered and reconciled with the original computer catalogued negatives, stored in plastic file tubs. Why? Because I don't ever want to pull out a "nice looking" negative, thinking I should make a print of this, and after firing up the darkroom and wasting time and resources, find out that I had already made a proof of it, without recording one way or another its fine print potential. Some are re-evaluated over time.

My workflow is such that I make proofs as soon as possible after the shooting of any print worthy negative. They are stored and catalogued as previously stated. I then explore any print worthy proof for fine print potential at my leisure or whim – which, by virtue of having saved the proofs makes this possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I "obsessively", compulsively, or cannily(?) save all my test prints (proofs) in file folders numbered and reconciled with the original computer catalogued negatives, stored in plastic file tubs. Why? Because I don't ever want to pull out a "nice looking" negative, thinking I should make a print of this, and after firing up the darkroom and wasting time and resources, find out that I had already made a proof of it, without recording one way or another its fine print potential.

My workflow is such that I make proofs as soon as possible after the shooting of any print worthy negative. They are stored and catalogued as previously stated. I then explore any print worthy proof for fine print potential at my leisure or whim – which, by virtue of having saved the proofs makes this possible.

Now there is a system! I wish I had the space and the diligence to do this, would probably save me a headache later on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow, quick responses

I should probably save mine with printing notes, but I'm not organized or diligent enough. HAving a sheet of notebook paper with notes in my print folder is as good as I'm going to do (for prints I've framed, I do keep a second one in my folder)
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin