Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,653   Online: 755

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Roland Barthes// Camera lucida.

This is a good book... I have been digesting it off and on for a couple years.
    Anyone wish to have a civil conversation about it?
    You need to read the book to participate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_Lucida_(book)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I haven't read it in a few years, but I remember he had very interesting philosophical concepts regarding the interpretation of symbols. If I can find my copy I will brush up and discuss it with you.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd be up for this too - I referenced the book for my dissertation on 'found' photography. I've just been through my storage boxes and found my copy.

Tony
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cool... class is in session.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read it in the '90s and thought it excellent. Just pulled out my copy a week or two back for another read.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have always felt terrible about it, but I've tried three times to read it and it's put me to sleep in 10 minutes each time. Maybe I'll try again...zzzZzzzzZzzzzz.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many years since I read it but my recollection was of meandering and sentimental writing which I found hard to stay connected with at times. Maybe it was better in the French.
    The studium and punctum concepts got trotted out a bit in certain circles when it seemed quite trendy to reference this book and make associations to these in one's own work and to claim to be influenced by these notions. It doesn't seem quite as popular any more and perhaps a bit "old hat". Fads come and go and certain concepts go in and out of fashion. I can't say I fully "got" what he was musing about, perhaps because French philosophy, or any philosophy for that matter, is not terribly popular in Australia!
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My favorite observation from the book.
    "Camera's are clocks for seeing."
    I wonder too if it was better in French... I can't get punctum and studium to "operate" in my mind's vocabulary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read it in the original French, and can't say I found much use for it.

No, it's not better in the original.

Everybody always raves on the "usefulness" of studium & punctum, but they are utterly arbitrary categories, and are not specific in any way to photographs. The punctum is a strictly subjective criterion, not a feature of a photograph, and the studium is just the rest. You could apply that same analysis to a painting.

I much prefer the films of Chris Marker when I need an articulate reflexion on the power of images, memory, and death. As for Barthes, his best work remains Mythologies because it precedes his obscure semiological period, is relatively light on pseudoscientific cogitations, and its generalizations still pass for insight, not decrees.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    because it precedes his obscure semiological period, is relatively light on pseudoscientific cogitations, and its generalizations still pass for insight, not decrees.
    ... I'm going to digest this the rest of the week.

Shall I start a "group for this class"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin