Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,821   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

One joy that digital photography doesn't offer

I have to admit that I shoot both, but I lean on the analog side. I noticed one joy that analog photography offers that digital photography doesn't. It's the joy of anticipation. I shot some film over the holiday weekend and I won't have time until the next weekend to process the film. I'm enjoying the anticipation of stepping into my darkroom to soup and proof the film. It's almost like planting tomatoes in the spring and anticipating the pick them in the summer. Am I old fashioned or I just don't enjoy instant gratification? To me, anticipation give me greater enjoyment of the end result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was out shooting both yesterday, but it was so bright and sunny I could barely see my digital photos on the back of the camera. I could check the histogram and that was about it. I didn't get to chimp them till that evening. It will be a few days before I get to put them on the computer as I'm kinda busy.

I prefer to think of the effect as less "instant gratification" and more "faster information feedback cycle".

However, when I get around to processing the B&W and making a few prints and scans, I will pronounce it worth the wait.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not just joy of anticipation, but joy of surprises too. I have a whole whack of old cameras that I load a film into sometimes. I then take them off along with one of my more 'main' cameras for part of a day's shooting. If the film isn't all used, they might go back on the shelf for a few months at least before I recall it has a film still to use up.

Then there are the films that pile up waiting for a time to process. If you work in multiple formats you know what I mean. I have some 4x5's shot on lith film that are waiting for me to get to them. Some might be a few years old now. I think that is the more fun part; the Oh, I remeber that situation now.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    "Possession diminishes perceived value. Immediately."

- Somebody smarter than I

sa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Chimping = less reliance on intuition

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I was out shooting both yesterday, but it was so bright and sunny I could barely see my digital photos on the back of the camera. I could check the histogram and that was about it.
    Chimping diminishes the intuitive and gut feeling of a photographer. I think one of the important skills as a photographer is relying on years of experience and using one's intuition. Digital photography can kill that instinct. After all, It's not a binary world, but an analog one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the above posts!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Don't be a Gary Winogrand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Some might be a few years old now. I think that is the more fun part; the Oh, I remeber that situation now.
    Gary Winogrand died with 2500 rolls left to be processed. Hope you have a long haul as a photographer and process your film earlier. I know I don't want to die anticipating. I think if the doctor told me to get my affairs in order due to some terminal illness, I'd would think processing exposed film I shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Chimping diminishes the intuitive and gut feeling of a photographer. I think one of the important skills as a photographer is relying on years of experience and using one's intuition. Digital photography can kill that instinct. After all, It's not a binary world, but an analog one.
    I've got the years of experience and intuition and I wouldn't trade it for anything new. I use the histogram mostly for analytical purposes such as to see how deep shadows and high highlights get treated. I don't think it will kill that instinct for me, thought others may be different. It would definitely prevent it from being developed in a new photographer with no film experience.

I'm not nieve enough to think that if it looks good on a 2-3" lcd it will look good on a 24" lcd or big paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's great that you use it as a tool and not a crutch. Nothing beats experience!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, call me slow. I did wonder for a while until I finally looked this up:
    Chimping:
    What one does after taking a picture with a digital camera and looking at the result. Derived from the words they speak when chimping: "Ooo-oo-oo!"
    (Made me laff my arse off).

So, what's that reaction when you see your print appear in the developer in the darkroom?
    I don't think it was a chimp-like experience.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin