Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,630   Online: 677

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    That damned ACLU, standing up for the rights of individuals, standing up for our constitution. What a bunch of commies.
    Well, only parts they like, anyway...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Fabrizio, You don't understand the issue.

The article states: "Wells said he would apologize to the photographers and make sure that officers respect the First Amendment rights of photographers.
    "We don't have a policy restricting photography," Wells said in an interview Wednesday. "The actions of some of these officers are not reflective of the agency stance." The statements of Wells actually back up your understanding that "in all liberal states...that detention can be applied only according to the law." Wells agrees with that. The officers acted on their own, not according to any policy.

In the US, the supreme law of the land is the US Constitution. No agency can legally have a policy that violates it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Threads merged.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Now these guys are Nazis
    Nah. Nazis were way more competent. The lunacy currently afoot in the US really doesn't have any basis in law or fact. Hopefully the days of terrorist hysteria generated random-harassment-citing-made-up on-the-spot-laws will be remembered with the same amount of incredulity and disdain that the McCarthy era is. I do think many of the general public is finally figuring out that legions terrorists aren't coming to blow up their Ford Focus in particular, but there are still plenty of hysteria swilling idiots who wouldn't recognize a power grab if someone grabbed them in the tenders with a hydraulic vise-grip. They feel free just as long as they can go down to the mall, throw down a credit card, and buy frikkin sneakers with lights in them.

On the part of the cops, and rent-a-cops, it's obviously just one more power trip, generally rooted in behavior formed around high school. Policing in the US has gone from a respected profession to being filled with people most would generally like to avoid, both professionally and socially.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 06-03-2011 at 02:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    The cop even said in the beginning: "We have no problem with people taking pix of trains because they're fascinated with them." I'll wager that if I had been the one taking pictures they would have let me continue, because they would have sensed my cooperative attitude. Adherence or not to the letter of the law is not the issue here.
    Please. The cop said the guy needed "the governing party's approval, and that would be us" (bulls**t). He even said there was a "vetting process" that had to be applied (bulls**t). He also said that no one could take pictures on state property, especially MTA property, without authorization (bulls**t). He also stated that the guy HAD to give them his ID (bulls**t).

Adherence to laws that actually exist is the issue here. The cop was a complete d**k, and might end up losing his job because of his incompetence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last edited by JS MD; 06-03-2011 at 04:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We are returning to the mentality of the sheriff of Nottingham, where the rules are whatever the sheriff says they are.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    We are returning to the mentality of the sheriff of Nottingham, where the rules are whatever the sheriff says they are.
    Not as long as the judge makes the Sheriff pay thousands of $ for making up his own rules.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of he issues that strikes me is the article states nothing has changed since similar incidents 5 years ago.

One positive aspect of the digital age,
    chit like this can be exposed in a heartbeat or the time it takes to upload to uTube.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm glad he did not get shot.

Chicago police shoot a civilian on average once every 10 days ---http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-071205cops-htmlstory,0,2906787.htmlstory

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin