Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,260   Online: 1155

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Try this, come to court indigent with a court appointed "public defender".
    Now come with a privately retained attorney. (exact same circumstances regarding arrest etc)

In almost every case you will fare much better with the paid attorney.
    What about self representation?

In England, judges will generally take time to listen to people representing themselves and try to get the facts out of them whilst ignoring the word twisting of the other party's lawyer.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    What about self representation?

In England, judges will generally take time to listen to people representing themselves and try to get the facts out of them whilst ignoring the word twisting of the other party's lawyer.

Steve.
    Unfortunately here in the states everyone including the judge will try to convince you to get counsel. This is generally a good idea.

There is a saying that goes something like "a defendant representing himself has a fool for a client".

The US system will look at you more like you don't want to contribute money to the "circle" than any competence you may have representing the facts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is a saying that goes something like "a defendant representing himself has a fool for a client".
    Which was modified splendidly in the film The Addams Family where Gomez stated "They say a man who represents himself has a fool for a client. Well, with God as my witness, I am that fool!".

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The US system will look at you more like you don't want to contribute money to the "circle" than any competence you may have representing the facts.
    +1

Remember that Perry Mason was a TV program. Not reality.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Careful with this advice. At least up here in Canada, and as far as I am aware in England as well, there are a few situations where "telling them nothing" can create more problems.

One that comes to mind is in regard to a possession of stolen property allegation. If you acquire property innocently, and it turns out to have been stolen, an unwillingness to communicate can really hurt your ability to later argue a "good faith acquisition" defence.

Alibi defences are another example.
    Maybe that flies in Canada, but here "anything you say can and will be used against you". Much better to shut the hell up, and if arrested let a lawyer speak for you. The most successful defenses here rely on the accused never having said a damned thing. The first thing a layer here will ask you is "what did you tell them?". If you say "nothing" he'll say "good boy". There is even a card you can get here that says 1: your name and address, and 2: I'm not telling you a damned thing.

If you have an alibi defense, that would assume there has been probable cause to arrest you in the first place. Your alibi will come out in court. It will do you no good with the police as far as arresting you in the first place, and you could quite possibly bugger it up by saying the wrong thing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Absolutely contrary to my knowledge, although antagonistic civilians may provoke responses that suggest this. We should place little credence to opinions of such complainants.
    I'm guessing you don't live in a city.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I'm guessing he has some connection to law enforcement

Shooter
    35mm
    Also, I am jaded by living in a state that works LE from a revenue angle almost exclusively, and that has a code about one step up from Sharia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    I\'m guessing you don\'t live in a city.
    Also, I am jaded by living in a state that works LE from a revenue angle almost exclusively, and that has a code about one step up from Sharia.
    Careful. The thought police will accuse you of Intolerance.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 06-07-2011 at 04:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    True. The nearest municipal police are in a town of 9000, ten miles away. The sheriff's department has 538 sq. miles to patrol. I have no connection with either, and rarely see them. Only a few area residents may have adversarial relations with area law enforcement. I consider that to usually be more of a deficiency in those individuals than in law enforcement. Here in the boondocks we may not have big city advantages, but life is good.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin