Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,261   Online: 1111

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keepers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5
    I hope this doesn't come off as overly "negative" (groan)- but I feel that am not 100% happy with a single photograph I've made thus far.

Matt
    Matt I'm 100% with you, every shot I have taken in the last mmmm almost 30 years could have been improved

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never took a picture I didn't like!!!

Making good photographs is an evolutionary process, and a keeper today, may not be a keeper next year. I just try to make good negs and prints, and when I have enough, the keepers start becoming more obvious.

Cheers,
    Suzanne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I'm a "girly photographer", too. Feeling is good. Being technically good is okay, but emotion, evocation and an inner stirring is better. (Jeez, did I just say that?) I'm not very successful at getting the feelings across to others in my pictures, I'm afraid. I can live with that as long as a few of my pictures work on an emotional level to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keepers, huh? When my brother and I were young, we went fishing one day. We didn't bring anything to put the caught fish in, so being kids we stuck the fish in our pants pockets. And also being kids, we went about doing kids things for the rest of the day. By the time we got home later that afternoon, we were reeking... Oh, you mean photographic kepers!!
    I would have to agree with Cheryl - the photographs have to speak to me on some level: emotionally, spiritually, visually or conceptually.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Matt I'm 100% with you, every shot I have taken in the last mmmm almost 30 years could have been improved
    Just don't ever quit and you will at some point have some that you feel cannot be improved upon.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think it is a girly thing or a guy thing. When the endorphens are racing and the adrenaline pumping from something I thought was good enough to shoot, yes it is an emotional rush. To be safe, I bracket those shots. Even with the 4x5, I will overexpose another sheet to be safe. I know this flies in the face of those who think only good photographers shoot only one frame or sheet. I consider myself a safe photographer. As to the keepers. Sometimes the Gods of light smile upon me, and sometimes I only get wet. I print for myself, and if opthers like it so be it. I use to plow through everything and print about 30%. Now it is down to about 5%. Of those there is maybe 10% that I put on my wall. I don't count, I just smile when it all works out.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Just don't ever quit and you will at some point have some that you feel cannot be improved upon.
    I'm looking forward to that day but maybe I'm just a perfectionist? Thank you for your kind support and I promise I won't give up as long as film is made somewhere on this planet!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    Just a note, the 35mm mindset is my concept of how I used to shoot when I did a lot of 35mm stuff. Basically machine gun style shooting. It wasnt meant as a dig.
    I agree with Tony,I don't believe anyone sees this as a dig.I don't,although my post may have looked that way.Thankfully my hair-trigger has been
    turned into a single shot or three round burst fire selector.Even so, I'm still
    awaiting a "significant" for september.Oh wait,it's october,gotta go...
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think it is a girly thing or a guy thing.
    I was kidding. Actually, most people who know me very well swear I'm a man in a female body. I'm pretty sure they're right.

- CJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    OMG ... I hope not! I'd reach a point where I cannot "do better" ? ... does that mean "perfection" - or that I have reached a finite limit?
    Either way - no "Worlds left to conquer"? No risk - and related thrill of success?
    I would no longer feel the "rush" when I pop the top off the developing tank? All mystery - and adventure - gone?

Arrgghhh!!! Not good, Not good at all.

I've NEVER made a photograph I was totally satisfied with ... it is just that at some point, one has to stop, and move on to something else.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin