Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,839   Online: 739

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keepers

Images

Keepers

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop." Ansel Adams

I've been thinking about this today. My productivity in the past 2 years has slowed down considerably, but at the same time, my ratio of keepers to rubbish has increased dramatically. I atrbute this to a couple of things, 1) getting out of the 35mm mindset, 2) Not having much time to shoot, I have to plan my outings a lot better.

I feel that only history will tell if any of my keepers are "significant".

How do you define a "keeper"?
    What is a "significant" photograph?
    How many of each have you created this year?

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anything I like is a "keeper". Sometimes later I wonder why I kept some of those keepers. The others are "significant".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac

Brian
    I don't know how I define a "keeper". The closest I can come: "I will want to keep it". Not really an answer, I guess ... but that is the way it works.

A "significant" photograph ... ? I think they are ALL "significant", to me. What makes them "significant" to others?" I wish I could answer that in three words or less.... but, last time I looked I was still a human being. Are human beings expected, or capable of, understanding their "significance" or lack of it, to others"?

One parameter that might apply in both cases ... It is a "kick" to produce something that will re-create the emotion I feel when I take the photograph in someone else.... a bright spark in the process ... but it is not my sole - or even a "major" part of my raison d'etre.

How many of each/ either have I produced this year? I don't know. It is too early to tell. If I extrapolate from previous experience, I'll find many more than I thought I had, three or four years from the date of their creation.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac

I've been thinking about this today. My productivity in the past 2 years has slowed down considerably, but at the same time, my ratio of keepers to rubbish has increased dramatically. I atrbute this to a couple of things, 1) getting out of the 35mm mindset, 2) Not having much time to shoot, I have to plan my outings a lot better.

Brian
    Brian, I will be very happy when I can produce 12 good pictures in a year. Currently I've just passed the 2 mark, so a little way to go. However when my new darkroom opens for business next February (or March or April) the hit rate could jump to 3!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jeesh this is a difficult one after a day lazing around and oh yeah just about remembering my wifes birthday <blush>

How do you define a "keeper"? - I am my own worst editor so I keep everything in negative form and only have a few prints in my portfolio. Anything else is shipped around different types of pictures editors hoping to interest them.

What is a "significant" photograph? - For me it is one that provokes thoughts, memories and emotions. These are not usually the same ones that other people like.

How many of each have you created this year? - This will sound like a cop-out but I haven't the faintest idea. I keep changing my mind when I revisit the pictures I've shot this year. I guess I have 6-12 but it depends on the mood I'm in and please remember I shoot one hell of a lot of film. A model shoot can easily be 10-12 rolls, when I'm out exploring usually at least 3-4 rolls as session.

Hope some of that makes sense

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I consider am image a keeper if it comes out technically the way I envisaged it when composing.
    I consider an image significant if it actually conveys the emotional impact I concieved of when composing it.
    Now if I get both the emptional imapact I thought of as well as being technically what I wanted well then...
    I would say twelve significant ones per year is what I feel I achieve,with many more keepers.Even in the 35mm mindset as you put it,using IR tends to slow me down and really has me thinking about what I want the image to convey before hand.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I define a keeper as one that pleases me in the areas of composition, local contrast and general contrast as befits the scene. If what I visualised at the time of exposure is realised in print then it is a keeper. I have a few of these.

I define a "significant" keeper as a keeper that has become a keeper to someone other than myself, i.e. I have sold it. I have a few of these too.
    Francesco

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When I did my "Fifty" project, I went through 8500 + negatives and came up with 50 (plus a bonus image). Pretty low percentage, but that's photography.

One usually gets a higher rate of keepers when using a view camera. That's because there is so much work involved in producing an image that the images are ruthlessly edited prior to setting up the camera.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Images
    Just a note, the 35mm mindset is my concept of how I used to shoot when I did a lot of 35mm stuff. Basically machine gun style shooting. It wasnt meant as a dig.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian I'm sure it wasn't taken by anyone as a dig! As a mostly 35mm shooter (and sometimes the word that may not be said) I admit that it's far easier to take more shots in sequence. Some of my best pictures have been when I have asked a model to move from one pose to another and in between there has been magic that I was able to capture with a 35mm that I couldn't have with a larger format. The same happens with my reportage, I walk around and there is the shot seen, captured and hopefully nailed all in maybe 3 or 4 seconds. Sometimes those candid moments are better than a whole day of planned shooting

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin