Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,355   Posts: 1,682,646   Online: 992

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The central question obviously is: What may I photograph?

That's enough. I find the letter much too long also, and stopped reading it about five lines into it. If you do intend to send it, make sure of the following:
    1. Does the FBI have anything to do with the security of VA hospitals?
    2. Contact the VA hospital administrator.

If you really wish to do the photography community a service, and wish to get clarification of what you may photograph, speak in more general terms, and use more cases of discrimination against photography in public places, other than your own, to make a case.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Last edited by moose10101; 06-17-2011 at 01:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: meh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    I, we, many seek answers which will attenuate this unnecessary ambiguity, enlighten understanding, and refrain from merely placating, redundantly, solely the biased sensibilities of the lower tiers of the profession you are in: law enforcement (and not law enactment).
    I'm still trying to figure out what would motivate anyone to write that sentence, and to tell an FBI Special Agent in Charge that he's in the "lower tiers" of the profession.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    There could be a file already. I'm not trying to damn David, but there's stuff on line that already hurts his credibility in these matters.

A google of "David Lyga" shows a letter to Director Robert S Mueller, comments about temple university police, a blog post called "DAVID'S ANTIDOTES FOR DEPRESSION", some deleted craiglist posts such as "Re: I LOATHE WHEN BLACK KIDS... (DAVID LYGA)", "re:RE: "FUN FACTS" ABOUT BLACKS (DAVID LYGA)", and wrote in a rant forum that Jared Loughner knew he was justified.
    jp498, I don't see your point here.

When a citizen is prevented from doing something that he think he is entitled to do, and he complains, what matters what said citizen writes in blogs or all over the internet? If anybody has to right to take pictures in that circumstance, David Lyga has that same right, whatever he writes in his personal blog.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will raise another issue related to hospitals: patient privacy. I walked on to the grounds of a nearby hospital one day with a camera on a tripod, and by the time I had all three legs on the ground there was security guard by my side saying that I couldn't take photos. I asked him why, and he said it was to protect patient's privacy. I said that I was not including any people in the shot. He said that the hospital was erring on the patient's side, and he gave me the name and number of someone to call to discuss access for photography.

All very nice and polite on his part. Having recently been involved with the US Census and going into hospitals and other facilities, I had been cued in to the amount of attention paid to this issue at such places. I think the law is referred to as HIPAA?

So, there is a chance that the camera was responded to on this basis. In my reading of your letter, you were on the hospital grounds when asked not to photograph, although still outside their 'secured' zone. Expecting a guard to determine dry firing, etc., is not reasonable. To protect patient's privacy, the blanket policy is 'no cameras.'

A simple follow-up call to the director of facilities or such should answer this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the law is referred to as HIPAA?
    Correct. It's also the reason you have to sign all those forms at your doctor's office now that essentially say you were made aware of the privacy aspects of this law and you indicate who may be contacted specifically about your condition, test results, etc. other than yourself.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The gurad not being a photographic enthusiast, he had no ways to really be certain what the device really was.... was it an analog camera with no film in it or was it something else? The guard didn't know David or his friend. All he knew was, it wasn't common or natural for someone to be doing what they were doing there. Certainly, it wasn't related to why the building exists. It didn't need to be done there. (Com'on you say? People trick people all the time...)

We are all nervous about our safety and security and it is his job to prevent the worst. It was his job to expect the unexpected. So he errored on side abundunce of caution. He might even have seen the worst taking place in back of his head. So he asked them to leave. I can see why he did that.

Was David's rights violated? In technical sense, I guess? Was it that important of a right to be so upset about? Not to me, but I'm not David.

From little searching I did, David appears to be an activist of some sort. I can see from his point of view, this is a violation of his rights and every little bit of errosion adds up to (eventually) loss of big portion of freedom. I can see that too.

But in the world we live in today? I don't see how things can stay the way it used to be.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Last edited by moose10101; 06-17-2011 at 01:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: meh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    I will raise another issue related to hospitals: patient privacy. I walked on to the grounds of a nearby hospital one day with a camera on a tripod, and by the time I had all three legs on the ground there was security guard by my side saying that I couldn't take photos. I asked him why, and he said it was to protect patient's privacy. I said that I was not including any people in the shot. He said that the hospital was erring on the patient's side, and he gave me the name and number of someone to call to discuss access for photography.
    David never did manage to tell the Special Agent in Charge whether he was on hospital property or public property. Seems to me that would be a critical piece of information.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Last edited by moose10101; 06-17-2011 at 01:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: meh

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin