Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,625   Online: 987

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Woman arrested for filming police

I wish this had happened at my house. What a great lawsuit. Her attorney should be able to rip these guys apart in court.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F*in' asshole. A camera is not a weapon. Police have a dangerous job, dealing constantly with people who could harm them. This jerk must be a hell of a wimp to be frightened of a woman in her front yard with a camera. "I do not feel safe". Sheesh. They could say that about anyone observing their actions at any time. How convenient.
    Interesting he came onto her property to arrest her. That was after saying "Not on the sidewalk", which is of course a public space. The only thing she cannot do is interfere with police carrying out their duties. Recording from private property an incident in the street could hardly be called interference.

The whole "I don't feel safe" thing is an obvious abuse of discretion.

He has no Constitutional right to feel safe. When he's patrolling in a bad part of town can he order everyone off the street who makes him feel unsafe? What an ass.
    Last edited by lxdude; 06-22-2011 at 04:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lawsuits are very stressful and very expensive - not really like they appear on TV. Not much fun at all.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm sorry police officer you don't feel safe. You and your two colleague are well armed with deadly weapons, and I am armed with a video recorder.

Filming from a sidewalk, which is public property, is not illegal. Filming from your front yard is not illegal.

Standing up for the Constitution when confronted with inane police orders, though grounds for arrest, is priceless.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian David View Post
    Lawsuits are very stressful and very expensive - not really like they appear on TV. Not much fun at all.

Ian
    The lawyer would likely take the case on contingency, so no money up front from the victim. Stressful, yes. But so is getting arrested the way she did. I hope she gets a big-ass settlement and the chickenshit cop gets an education.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    at one point in the video, the police mentioned her saying something before she started recorded. It might be possible she threatened them in someway. If she did, then I wouldnt be so quick to say she's right. If she didnt do anything to threaten them before she turned the camera on, I hope those f*****s are dealt with as harshly as legally possible
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    35mm
    The thing is, when things like this happen, the police are never punished. That's why they continue to get away with it. Whenever a police officer violates someone's rights or injures them, he just melts back into the wall of blue, and the worst that usually happens, if they do something really bad like kill an innocent person, is that they resign, otherwise they just get a short vacation or a stern talking-to. Suing the police department is faint satisfaction as it only soaks the taxpayers, so we pay doubly. Until individual officers are held accountable, this will continue to happen and/or get worse.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The lawyer would likely take the case on contingency, so no money up front from the victim. Stressful, yes. But so is getting arrested the way she did. I hope she gets a big-ass settlement and the chickenshit cop gets an education.
    Judging by her reaction at the end of the film, she does not have the personal constitution for litigation. Getting arrested is stressful for a little while, getting into litigation is often stressful for years. Wishing for the opportunity to litigate against heavy-handed police is like wishing to get into a street fight to teach thugs a lesson. Makes a great spectacle for the peanut gallery, but often ends badly for the civic rights champion (even if they win).

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'll bet we haven't heard the last of it.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Believe me, I bristle about cops overstepping their bounds - but she didn't do herself any favors in the way she attemped civil disobedience. She is pretty close and a complete unknown to them - a cop is always going to take the most cautious path with regards to his safety (and I think they should on that point.) She should have been minimally compliant, backed up a bit and then continued or turned on her porch lights. I am very curious to know what was said before she turned on the camera, as well.

I don't think the officer was impolite to her and actually quite calm, giving her a couple opportunities to do something different and she chose not to. I find it amusing that at the end she is all up in arms that they are arresting her. I applaud her efforts, but if you are going to go head to head with the cops at least understand and be prepared for the results - geeze.
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin