Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,050   Online: 825

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amateur Vs pro

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just checked out segedis sight WOW!!!
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Based on your screen name, I'd suggest telling them you are an actor.

I'd also suggest calling up one of the private holding companies and asking them what they mean. It may be that the fact you don't have either a location, business licence or a commercial presence (website, etc.) would be enough.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there are really only teachers and students of photography. At some points you are teaching others (directly or indirectly), and at other times you are learning from others. With my relative inexperience I happily spend the majority of my time on this site on the learning side

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would think a pro to be one who derives their livelihood from a pursuit. An amateur would be one who strives but it a side thing. There is a third category into which many, including myself, would fall into. I am a hobbyist. I photograph for myself. I do not actively seek to sell a print. I just do it for me and me alone. At this point, anyway. Though I have no aspirations of yet.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about this?

PRO: Expense spent on gears < Income generated from said gears
    Amateur: Expense spent on gears > Income generated from said gears

APUGer: Expense spent on gears >> Income generated from said gears
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    Here in the U.S. I believe the status of Professional versus Amateur is decided by our Internal Revenue Service. If more than 50% of your income is from photography then you are a Professional.
    So if you only earn 49% of your income from photography, do you not pay tax on it?

I would have thought that all they really want to know is how much you earn in a year regardless.

What about someone who earns money in equal measures from four different jobs. By your definition he could not be considered professional in any of them!

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    PRO: Expense spent on gears < Income generated from said gears
    Amateur: Expense spent on gears > Income generated from said gears
    It is possible to be a professional and make a net loss for the year (and I'm sure you mean gear rather than gears).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that if photography is the primary source of income, and keeps food in your belly and a roof over your head, then you are a professional. Most are not lucky enough to be professionals taking pictures of whatever they want, but rather by taking pictures to meet the needs of others.

It has nothing to do with the commercial or art designations; both types of photography can provide a living. I also don't think it has much to do with quality. Most "professional" photographers I know are not what I would actually call "good" photographers. They are good at business, good with people, and ambitious.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve;

"So if you only earn 49% of your income from photography, do you not pay tax on it?"

Of course you do.

"I would have thought that all they really want to know is how much you earn in a year regardless."

On one hand, that is all they want to know. On the other if you are claiming expenses as a Professional you need to be profitable. And while they allow for a bad year you cannot have too many bad years before they question your status as Professional.

If your income from photography is 49% then 51% is coming from somewhere else and that is where you may be a Professional.

"What about someone who earns money in equal measures from four different jobs. By your definition he could not be considered professional in any of them!"

True. He is the Jack of all trades and Master of none.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    To Answer your question, selling a print will not make you a professional photographer in fact you could sell lots and a professional you would not be, and as you are located in the UK the chance of ever selling enough prints to make a living is as near to zero as possible .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    He is the Jack of all trades and Master of none.
    But you can be a master of more than one thing.

On the other if you are claiming expenses as a Professional you need to be profitable. And while they allow for a bad year you cannot have too many bad years before they question your status as Professional.
    Anyway, the word professional in front of photographer doesn't change it in any legal way or require any qualifications so it's just a word. So why would the tax office care if you used that word or not?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin