Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,835   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    It's sometimes hard to please people whose expectations are shaped by the "proper" studio poses. My mother-in-law has very strict rules about what constitutes a "good" picture: everyone must be looking at the camera, and everyone must have a plastered-on, fake-looking smile. Everything else is right out.
    A bit OT, but this is unfortunately the case with many people. For my daughter's first b-day my wife and I went to a superb professional photographer to have some photos of our daughter taken. The guy was brilliant, just what we wanted...No formal poses with smiles and pretty dresses. It was all photographs of our daughter in a cotton diaper, in her coveralls, with a t-shirt and a hat...Brilliant stuff...The best one was of her a split-second before she got mad as h*ll...We were over the moon with the proofs and got a bunch of photos for ourselves and family members.
    A couple of months later we were at my wife's grandmother's place and were asking where she had put the photograph of our daughter that we had given her (it wasn't with the other family shots on the mantlepiece). She told us that it was in an album because it wasn't a 'proper' photograph like the other pretty ones from freakin' Wal-Mart!
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been asked on occasion to photograph a family or work-related event and I just tell them that I don't photograph people and have no experience at it. Most people assume that if you are photo hobbyist that you must photograph people and I just let them know that this is not the case and they usually understand. Fortunately there are always plenty of others with their digital snappers who will gladly take up the slack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi everyone, thanks for all your feedback. I have now accumulated a few nice and good ways to keep the peace. Most appreciated

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    She told us that it was in an album because it wasn't a 'proper' photograph like the other pretty ones from freakin' Wal-Mart!
    It is for this reason that we order school pictures every single year, and they are dutifully mailed to all grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins — along with some proper Real Pictures. When we visit said relatives, the school heads are always the ones on display in the living room.

One recent summer (2-3 years ago), we sent the kids off to visit Grandma and she sent me photos that she'd had done of them at Sears "because we needed some nice photos of them."

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You should take a field trip through my parents' house. They've seen the light, and now have almost no "proper" portraits in their house. The walls are covered with candid -- and really funny -- prints, which they value far above that other stuff.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    One recent summer (2-3 years ago), we sent the kids off to visit Grandma and she sent me photos that she'd had done of them at Sears "because we needed some nice photos of them."
    now THAT is funny!
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    You should take a field trip through my parents' house...
    Well what we really need to do is find a way to send my parents, heh. And my Aunt Lucille. And Doris. And Allen & Irene. And the in-laws from Up North. And the Adamses and the Chicago Durtsches and... hmm, maybe a tour bus would be best.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Heh heh. Send 'em to my house. They'd be horrified.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just started trying portrait work and have been taking lots of pictures of my friends kids. They love it and are happy with the results. My family on the other hand, will not be getting my services, been there and done that with other things. It just ain't worth it.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin