Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,206   Online: 832

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Used to be that extraordinarily talented photojournalists were able to catch transcendent moments which became icons. Think Neil Leifer's Cassius Clay snarling down at the dazed Sonny Liston on his back. Now its all just over-Photoshopped eye candy for an audience that no longer cares.

Ken
    As I recall that shot was pretty heavily cropped for the cover but doesn't lesson it's power (and forgiveable in the age of manual focus fixed lens cameras.)

I was appalled by a particularly bad cut, paste and PS'd image in a weekend news magazine last Saturday. It was if they didn't care how bad it was provided the lady in the bikini bottom's thighs were perfectly sculpted for supposed maximum attractiveness. Not that I go searching for these things of course. Honestly.

Are there any papers or magazines which have elevated their standards in recent years? The anti-intellectual, celebrity trawling, lowest common denominator movement seems to know no end. Thanks Rupert!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By commonly-accepted journalistic standards, such manipulations are supposed to be labeled as "illustrations," not photographs. I wonder what the photo credit says. And Newsweek is largely a news-feature magazine, not a hard news one. I don't like it either, but it is fully expected given the format.

And before we go proclaiming the death of print journalism quality because of what appears in a soft news supermarket rag, I've got to say that you wouldn't see such a thing purposefully put into a hard news publication, such as your local big-city newspaper. Fakery makes it in from time to time, but not with the editor's intent in any recent case I can remember.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-29-2011 at 10:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    As I recall that shot was pretty heavily cropped for the cover but doesn't lesson it's power (and forgiveable in the age of manual focus fixed lens cameras.)
    I believe you are correct. I also seem to recall that it's a Kodachrome, but I could be wrong.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think the problem is in the altering of the photo, which given the fact that the underlying historical circumstances are presumed to be known to anybody, I see as a legitimate montage to illustrate an article rather than an attempt to make a fake.

I only find that the article itself is just distilled nonsense for the kind of magazine where it appeared. You can "reposition" a magazine somehow, but not betray its spirit entirely as you will instantly lose your readers, and you will slowly search for new readers in another socio-cultural layer of society, where the Newsweek brand does not necessarily resonate.

It's as if Deutsche Grammophon tried to reposition itself as a brand for pop music, or as if McGraw-Hill tried to reposition themselves as fiction publishers.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Because of this post, I happened to notice the magazine at B&N yesterday, and had a few minutes to study it while waiting for the cashier. I thought the picture was revolting, tasteless, and about every other negative adjective that I can think of. The paste of Diana was about the least flattering picture I have ever seen of that beautiful woman.

But after thinking about it and reading comments here, I agree with some others that it is not necessarily unethical. 99% of viewers know these women could not have been photographed together. Newsweek is apparently shifting from the Time genre to the Us/People genre indicating that things presented in the publication cannot be relied on as factual.

I didn't have time to find out whether the fact that the cover was a montage was revealed in the magazine, and I certainly was not going to purchase it to find out.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Initial reaction was it is insulting to the family, belittling to Camille (regardless of how you feel about her) and Charles, demeaning, misrepresentation and in poor taste regarding the royal family.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Used to be that extraordinarily talented photojournalists were able to catch transcendent moments which became icons. Think Neil Leifer's Cassius Clay snarling down at the dazed Sonny Liston on his back. Now its all just over-Photoshopped eye candy for an audience that no longer cares.
    Are you just talking about SI or photojournalism in general? In either case, it's a very broad generalization.

There is more powerful photojournalism being created today than in any era previously, it's just not being printed in big glossy magazine with circulations counted by the million.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If they were trying to compare and contrast the two women then two separate photos of them at the same age and in similar poses with similar lighting placed side by side and altered only by cropping so that the two women were the same scale would be the tasteful way to go. That train wreck of a photoshop job looks like something that a high school kid would have done for their personal web site dedicated to the royal women, they may as well have added the Queen into the photo to finish off the tackiness. Also why didn't they remove everyone else from the photo? Beyond the tasteless aspect of the photo, what does a shoddy cover photo like that say about the work inside the magazine?
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Newsweek still claims to be a news magazine; doctoring an image should be taboo. They could easily have done the side by side photos as bblhed suggests. I don't think it matters that the vast majority of readers know that it's manipulated; it's a matter of principle and journalistic ethics (IMO).
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Journalistic ethics and principles simply state that photo manipulations be labeled as such, not that they are completely off limits. Ethics and principles are about what is right and what is wrong. In journalism, "right" means, in the most general sense, accurately depicting things for what they are – telling the truth to the best of one's ability. A photo should be called a photo, and a photo illustration should be called a photo illustration. Journalistic ethics and principles say to call a spade a spade, in other words.

Journalistic standards dictate that such a photo not be used in a prominent place by a hard news publication. Standards are about what is commonly accepted in the industry and what is not. They aren't really about right and wrong directly, per se.

So, if it was labeled as an illustration, then it is not unethical. It would just be a display of poor standards for a hard news publication. But I think that Newsweek cannot be considered a hard news publication anyhow. This simply does more to cement that viewpoint for me.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-01-2011 at 08:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin