Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,075   Online: 892

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Newsweek - Doctored photo

The latest issue of Newsweek has a doctored cover photo of Princess Diana and Kate Middleton; altered to make it look like they are together. Their cover story was a comparison of the 2; they could have done a cover with 2 photos, not 1 altered one.

I also noticed a doctored photo in a prior issue where they were calling attention to a wrist band worn by several celebrities. The photos were b/w; the wristbands were red (must be a new type of film I'm not aware of).

There's been public criticism of the photo and accompanying article (I haven't read the article yet), but surprisingly little criticism of the basic ethics (or lack of) of altering a photo.

We are long time subscribers to Newsweek. The new owners have reduced it to little more than Entertainment Weekly. A sad end to a once great magazine.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I thought is was kinda sad and pandering to be on Newsweek's cover.
    People... sure it would have worked but Newsweek?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It depends. With photo illustrations pretty much anything goes as long as it is presented as such. This is rather tasteless though.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everybody's doing it. Not because they should, but because they can. I saw that Newsweek cover myself and didn't like it either. Not because of the story's premise, but because of the lack of ethics displayed on the cover. Did these guys sleep through Journalistic Responsibilities 101 in school?

Another example?

The defining hallmark of Sports Illustrated was once its photography. No longer. In this digital age I have no idea what's real and what isn't. Sports Illustrated routinely doctors its photos, places them on the cover, then places tiny, tiny "expanations" seemingly hidden in obscure corners somewhere in the first few pages. These covers and I do not get along well.

Used to be that extraordinarily talented photojournalists were able to catch transcendent moments which became icons. Think Neil Leifer's Cassius Clay snarling down at the dazed Sonny Liston on his back. Now its all just over-Photoshopped eye candy for an audience that no longer cares.

These days I continue my SI subscription only for the writing. Don't think I'll be subscribing to Newsweek at all.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Newsweek...wasn't that the magazine that teetered on the brink of extinction recently?

Desperation, I'd reckon. A very tasteless form of desperation.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Again, it depends on the intended purpose and how it is presented. I do agree that it has gotten out of hand though. Photo-Illustrations are a slippery slope of what is acceptable.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think the ethics argument is silly unless the photographer or publication tries to pass it off as real. The Cover was made to sell magazines and to make people think about "what if"... which is valid and the point of the story... Not something I would read, but still a valid point of view. They did nothing ethically wrong in my opinion, and the "Princes" might be upset at seeing the photo, but they are in the public eye and honestly probably expected this sort of thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tina Brown defends photoshopping Princess Di onto Newsweek cover
    By Dylan Stableford, The Cutline, June 29, 2011
    (Cover illustration included)

"This is completely offensive and inappropriate... Newsweek truly needs to learn about ethics and morals."

"Newsweek now competes with the National Enquirer... who would have thought?"

"This whole piece is sick and wrong... If I want this sort of trash, I'll go buy the National Enquirer. If I want what Newsweek used to be, I'll subscribe to Time."

"Morbid, distasteful, and beyond tacky."

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary." Brendan Behan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    lol the light is completely different on Diana than what is on Middleton.
    looks like a stock shot of Di from Madame Tussauds
    this gives even the layman an uneasy sense when viewing.

looks like an out take from that crappy PS job website
    Last edited by brucemuir; 06-29-2011 at 10:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin