Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,937   Online: 993

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Lack of U.S. Bidders and World Market for Film Based Equipment.

Greetings,

Just curious..... Anyone selling cameras on the BAY for a period of time that has noticed a lack of U.S. bidders all together or U.S. bidders offering up some low ball bid. I've been selling since 7/97 and have really noticed in the last few years a complete absent of U.S. bidders. I only deal in film based equipment, the digital market may be a different story. As one would guess the Pacific Rim is my strongest market for sale followed by Eastern Blocked Countries (suprised). In 3rd is the rest of Europe & Canada (Tie). Up and Coming: Vietnam, Malaysia, China, Brazil, Indonesia. Hit or Miss: Australia, New Zealand, Mexico. No Show: Except for (Israel) the Middle East, all of Africa and the rest of South and Central America.

Is the market that depressed or am I missing something?

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Supply >> demand
    Weak dollar
    Craigslist

What kind of cameras do you sell?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Supply >> demand
    Weak dollar
    Craigslist

What kind of cameras do you sell?

Supply and Demand: Then there must be a shortage a Japanese camera in Japan because thats where alot of the stuff is headed back to.

Weak Dollar: I agree

Craigslist: Have you seen the prices people are asking for junk? Is anything being sold there?

The bulk of my stuff is 50s through modern SLRs. Anything I can get my hands on.

I also do tube based audio. Same story here. All the top bidders are overseas. Again Pacific Rim NO. 1

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You must not be offering what I am buying. I have bought 5 lenses for 4"x5" cameras. Four of which are barrel lenses.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yup, I've noticed the same thing. Everything I sell on eBay is headed to Asia.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Not alot on LF lenses. The last one was a year or so. 3 5/8 Gold Rim Dagor. To Taiwan I believe..

Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    May be I am wrong , but for me , I am still under heavy influence of print quality of National Geographics , Photograph Magazines , Films , Equipment design and art , literature from 70 to 86. I think my generation of China , South America , South East Asia , Eastern Europe was under influence of US propaganda until 90s and people were dreaming Fender , Levis , Cola , Frank Zappa , Nikon , Leica and chicks like Isabella Adjani , Ali Mc Graw , Emmanuelle , Kinski. Now people turned to 40 or more and want the same old good days. Internet makes everything accessible and they are buying all now yet. Nostalgy may be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anybody in the US who wants film stuff already has it- or is looking for the truly rare/good quality stuff now. Some in Asia are just starting to collect. Like it or not the market for Film Cameras/Lenses is becoming a collector's market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy a lot of camera equipment off of the Bay, more than my wife would like. So I really can't speak to the Asian market but I did recently buy a lens from Albania. I have pretty good idea of the prices these items go for so I don't have a problem paying it if it is a good deal and something I need. Were I have a problem is those who are selling at extremely inflated prices. I'm seeing sellers trying to get $500 for gear with offbrand lenses and flashes just because they are 40 years old. That and the fact that most don't know anything about cameras and they readily admit it.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Anybody in the US who wants film stuff already has it- or is looking for the truly rare/good quality stuff now. Some in Asia are just starting to collect. Like it or not the market for Film Cameras/Lenses is becoming a collector's market.
    Would a Nikon 85mm/1.4 consider "rare or good stuff"? This is one lens I would like and currently don't have...

A show of hands of everyone that has all the lenses they have wanted that are neither rare or good stuff.

Bill

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin