Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,604   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Am I a film prosletyzer?

I work at a university art department. Recently, this former student and graduate, contacted me about an Olympus OM3 that he found at a thrift store for $20. He wanted me to take a look at it to see if it works. After taking a look and showed him the basic operations of the camera, I offered him a roll of film. He next day he stopped by for the roll film and I showed him how to load and shoot the camera. He thinks the camera is worth a few hundred bucks and he wants to Ebay it. I told him that the camera is special and he should keep it and shoot with it.
    My view on life is live and let live and I don't proselytize on religion nor politics. I do shoot digital and don't have a problem with it. I do favor the use of film. Have I crossed a philosophical line here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Advocacy with people who already have expressed an interest or a connection is not proselytizing. I don't think you should fret about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    ...Have I crossed a philosophical line here?
    No. The student is going to do what he wants, and if you advise against it he'll find someone who advises him with what he wants to hear.

Offer it up, and if he blows it off there's nothing you can do.

But offering the advice is not crossing the line, at least not in my mind.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dang, an OM-3 for $20. I'm still kicking myself for not buying one instead of my OM-4, they were the same price back in 85. No, I had to listen to the salesman and get the best, one that "did it all for me", I'm such a maroon.

And to answer your question, no you are not.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In a word? No
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I told him that the camera is special and he should keep it and shoot with it.
    It sounds to me like you're genuinely concerned for the welfare of his soul. The same could not be said about religion or politics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll probably earn extra karma bucks that can be redeemed for film too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I learned years ago to not give unsolicited advice, because I'm usually wrong, and when I'm right, nobody listens anyway. Hey, he came to you seeking advice. That's the key.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Offer him $40 for it and buy him a lunch from the mobile hot dog cart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No matter what you said and why you said it, he will do whatever he wants to do. I wouldn't be surprised if it's on eBay already. I wonder why you told him the camera is special though. Most early OM series cameras are plentiful. OM-10 is special to me because that was my first camera. But it isn't a special camera. I bet OM-3 isn't anything special to him, unless it'll bring him some profit.

As I see it, he asked and you offered him your opinion and assistance. That's all you did. After all, you are faculty. He's a student. Isn't it the proper role in colleges?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin