Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,117   Online: 860

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicole I agree with you but alas the screen print of even software that takes a screen capture will always defeat prevention

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very true Tony, anyway, was just a thought/question
    Thanks everyone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Why would you want to stop the practice? I think I would be rather flattered if anyone wanted to use an image of mine.
    Not to impose my will on anyone else ... but I agree. The more "press" I get, the better. Given the legal situations of the day, there aren't many magazines who will rip off an image, anyway ... and a Copyright Infringement lawsuit from me could add a little spice to the day.

As far as I'm concerned, print out all you want. These scanned images are CRAPPY anyway - compared to the originals. At a gallery maximum of 600 x 600 pixels and 500Kb .... I wouldn't consider them as anything like serious competition for the "real thing".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    ... and a Copyright Infringement lawsuit from me could add a little spice to the day.
    Another benefit of film as we have the negatives / slide to prove ownership! Mmmm now I wonder which photographers may have a little trouble doing that? LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With digital the pros mostly shoot in RAW format which is like a 'digital negative'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very true but many amateurs and enthusiasts such as the ones on a lot of the photography websites / user groups only keep jpegs as they only want them for screen display

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The only way to truly make sure that your work is not used without your consent is to not post at all...

The next best step would be to damage or stamp the photo somehow... I've seen copyright with name and date digitally embossed on the photo so that the image can be seen and evaluated but would be more less useable. I've also seen little captions/signatures/names added to the bottom of the frame. If you keep it white, it blends in with a forum like this, but if it's dowloaded it stays with the work... Yes you can crop it, but it's one more step... Keep the image size small is another solution. (But having your name ON the work is always the best version...)

Think about this for a second... You go to 1000 web sites and dowload 1 picture from each one... Every picture is one that you liked... Of those 1000 a few digitally put a name or website on the actual work... Which website do you think you'll actually go back to?

I think it's not only a good protection, but a good marketing strategy as well to somehow label/emboss etc. your work...

joe

p.s. With that said, a local wedding photographer once told me that they were shooting a wedding at a house, looked over to see another wedding photo on the wall and it had PROOF stamped across the face of the print. (This was a copy blown up to 20x24 from a 5x5). Some people will do what they want no matter what you do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The trouble I had, when I had a lot of my photographs on my web site, is that people would link to them in such a way that the photos appeared on the other web site, but were actually on mine, so it ate up my bandwidth. I can't remember what that's called.

I wouldn't have minded so much, but it was done without crediting me at all. I have slowly begun putting a border around my photos with my copyright info and url. That way, a thief will at least have to go to some trouble in Photoshop to remove my information.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is a choice digital shooters have to make. I have chosen to return to film because I have seen the light! Digital shooters should be educated (by the companies that sell the gadgets) on digital limitations and its ongoing costs to maintain a viable system - especially if this generation wishes to have treasured family photos in many years to come. Who know if lawsuits will increase in 50 years time because grandchildren can no longer see their their families history??? Just thinking out loud, sorry for the ramble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe and Juan, thanks for your input. Much food for thought here! Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin