Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,705   Online: 1074

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicole your not ramblin sooooo think away I agree and when I worked at a camera store it was amazing how many people collected their prints and memory card back from the lab. Then after a quick glance at the prints they instantly deleted their memory cards.

Dispite the warnings we gave them thay just said either
    "I've got the pictures I wanted" or
    "narrrr I can flatbed scan them for the web" or
    "you can scan this if I want re-prints later"

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are some possibilities to prevent downloading, here in short form, but as hint(s) for googling ...

1. as mentioned above use 72dpi and small size
    2. mark it visibally with your copyright
    3. there's a possibility to insert a invisible watermark (sorry, commercial, but in some cases it's possible to search for the images with speacial search engines ..
    4. use JavaScript to prevend the excessive usage of the right mouse button
    5. make use of a dedicated image folder und excessive use of the robots.txt to prevend the usage of spiders/grabbers
    6. make usage (if possible) of a ".htaccess" for users have to be authentcated manually

hth
    Horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hallo Horst, all tech jargon is a bit too much for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony, yes the dollar speaks louder than common sense. I talk to people about digital vs film and make sure they understand the 'longevity' issues. Unfortunately the ease of digital developing and printing at home just 'saves' so much money TODAY! Time will tell...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    nicole -

look into something like digimarc
    http://www.digimarc.com/
    stock agencies use digital watermarking like this to track who is using their images and how they are being used.
    copyright infringment is a big thing, but havin the © next to your name or having a statement at the beginning of your website doesn't do much. if you are in the states, unless you have your work registered at the copyright office in washington dc, your © *doesn't mean a thing* and you will be left in a money-pit if you try to sue for damages if you find your work being used and you want to try to get compensated. a "gang" registration only costs $30 USD and it will give you the peace of mind that if someone does use your work without your authorization you can protect yourself.
    just realized you aren't in the states ... not sure what the same thing down-under is called, you might want to check ...

good luck!
    -john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John. I appreciate your input. Thanks! Worth checking out!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could try registering your site with someone like this.
    http://creativecommons.org/
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    Hallo Horst, all tech jargon is a bit too much for me.

Sorry, complicated topic and both understanding and practicing can be even more complicated. As 'jnanian' mentioned, the leader on the market with watermarks is Digimarc. It's a comercial solution and there's no guarantee it really works for your needs.

There's no technic available to prevent the short or systematically storing of one or more of your pics. If someone it really wants, he/she/it will do it. But there are methods to complicate it.

If some of you are still interested in, I will write a short manual with additional links for the basic stuff.

Horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The first rule of the digital world is this -

If you try and stop it, someone will find a way around it.

And in an interconnected world, this becomes even EASIER.

You may have all the copyrights you need in YOUR country, but some nations don't honor those copyrights or have zero enforcement.

In fact, a while back, some smart folks started Earthstation5. Which has some nice P2P filesharing software.

That is all based in Palestine.

Which has almost NO intellectual property laws (which is understandable, they have bigger fish to fry (no shellfish though)).

So SOMEONE will always be one-step ahead of you.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin