Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,264   Online: 831

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Avoid copying pics from websites

Hi everyone, I might be getting paranoid, but I was just wondering what can be done to avoid copying our pictures from websites or at least make copying difficult.

What settings are best and sizes are best before uploading, to limit what people can do with them once copied.

Thanks to all, and kind regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although you can embed a copyright notice directly on the posted image, it's really distracting and should probably be avoided in most cases. Any jpeg that's 150 to 200 kbs is so low resolution anyway, that the only copying that can happen will be to use your image as 'background' on a computer screen or as 'wallpaper'. Posting in screen appropriate sizes also mitigates against making any further use of your stuff than what I just noted.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    to display an image it has to be downloaded. you can add javascript so that the user gets a msg instead of the usual menu, but they can still print screen to the clipboard then paste that into a graphics program or go to the tempory cache and ge the file from there. You could deliver your images via a Flash applet which stops all those methods, but apparently there's ways to pull them off flash sitre too (never investigated them myself)

So, the best thing you can do is keep them small. Consider the number of pixels required to print something decent, and stay under that. Resize to 600-700 pixels on the long side and you should be ok. Will appear ok on screen, but print pretty small. If you're real worried, don;t post things!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John, thanks for the tip.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Screen sizing is a maximum of 96 ppi, so keep that res low. They can look, but if printed out, they will look horrible.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So if I set them at 72 dpi at roughly 500x750 pixels max this should be sort of ok...
    Thanks Joe & Nige!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    Hi everyone, I might be getting paranoid, but I was just wondering what can be done to avoid copying our pictures from websites or at least make copying difficult.

What settings are best and sizes are best before uploading, to limit what people can do with them once copied.

Thanks to all, and kind regards,
    Nicole
    Why would you want to stop the practice? I think I would be rather flattered if anyone wanted to use an image of mine. I think that the only sure way to prevent copying off a web site is not to post any images, other than that, it's open season.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also if you sell any pictures and they get used on the Internet (ie an online magazine), they can be nicked anyway. So my philosophy is why worry in the first place, I have enough to worry about with exposures

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dave, I understand and appreciate what you are saying. But I am trying to make a living and if people can copy them free of a website, why would they pay for them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course the reason we post them is for 'exposure' and also for 'geniune feedback' from great forums like this one - where we learn so much from. I know there is a risk with anything and everything (internet based or not), but if there are ways to reduce risks, why not?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin