Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,289   Posts: 1,535,369   Online: 803

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What's the matter with train tracks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Rusbarsky View Post
    What's the matter with train tracks?

What's this got to do with the subject under discussion ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It's not just the ones that delude themselves they are "professionals" that get me, but the ones who labour under the misapprehension that they are "Artists"
    There is no reason that photography should not be able to be considered art. Otherwise speaks to a paranoia of creativity. Films (motion pictures) and music can also be considered art on many occasions.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot my first deep perspective shot of railroad tracks in 1984 and, every once in a while, I go back and shoot the tracks again.

There's also a lighthouse here in Erie that EVERYBODY shoots 1,000,000 pictures of.
    http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=290

Certainly, these are cliche but anybody who wants to learn photography needs to shoot pictures like these. In fact, I would say that shots of railroad tracks are REQUIRED if you want to learn photography.

If you live in Erie and you want to call yourself a photographer, you'd better have at least one shot of that lighthouse in your portfolio. Some people might roll their eyes when they see it but everybody has an intuitive sense that taking pictures of the lighthouse is a standard by which photographers (in Erie) are judged.

It's like taking pictures of eggs on white satin!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No argument about whether photography or film can be considered art. But that doesn't make all photographers "artists". The same would be true of considering all painters artists, or not.
    Not all pro photographers are artists either, nor are all their photos art.

But, they are able to produce properly exposed, well constructed images that flatter the subjects on demand, consistantly, no matter what.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    It's that old adage - if you buy a Steinway, you own a Steinway. But if you buy a camera, you're a professional photographer.
    However, if you buy a Leica, not only do you OWN A LEICA, you are also PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What's this got to do with the subject under discussion ?
    Deadly sin #6 from the OP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    There is no reason that photography should not be able to be considered art. Otherwise speaks to a paranoia of creativity. Films (motion pictures) and music can also be considered art on many occasions.

Tom
    I agree Tom, some photography is "Art" but very very little, the majority of it is craft at best even the old master painters in their day only considered themselves craftsmen like other craft at the time like stonemasons not artists, and when people who are virtual photographic beginners these days start growing goatee beards and calling themselves artists it becomes ludicrous.
    Ben

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I work in Nuclear Engineering, I do enjoy taking photos and I think they all suck but some people like some of them.

Would I like to sell a Photograph some day? Well, yes I would, but I would only think of myself as a guy that got lucky and sold a photo that someone liked and was willing to pay for.

There are a lot of GWAC's out there, and there are some real hacks that call themselves pro's one of them took my wedding photos, and another just took the photos of my daughter for her fourth birthday (anyone in CT want to help re-shoot some photos of a kid? I can pay with pizza and beer).

I have designed million dollar machines with nothing but three pentels clickers and a few odd tools from an office supply store, that makes me a Draftsman not a photographer, others should also learn to stick with what they are good at.

I enjoy photography, I just suck at it. *L*
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    ........... when people who are virtual photographic beginners these days start growing goatee beards and calling themselves artists it becomes ludicrous.
    I hate to say it, but some of those kids have talent, their problem is that they have no clue how to get their vision into the photo.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin