Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,054   Online: 859

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    I have designed million dollar machines with nothing but three pentels clickers and a few odd tools from an office supply store, that makes me a Draftsman not a photographer, others should also learn to stick with what they are good at.
    And most of us could take a better picture with an empty beer can and a roll of duct tape than 90% of the guys running around with $5,000 digicams, too!

It's about the effort and critical thinking that one puts into his craft, not the equipment.

I once saw a TV show where Liberace played "Chopsticks" on a little toy piano and the audience practically gave him a standing ovation. Of course, Liberace was the greatest pianist of modern times but I use this as the example of my point.

It's not the camera that makes the photographer. It's the idiot looking through the viewfinder.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to admit that I have taken several pictures of that lighthouse in Erie.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    And most of us could take a better picture with an empty beer can and a roll of duct tape than 90% of the guys running around with $5,000 digicams, too!

It's about the effort and critical thinking that one puts into his craft, not the equipment.

I once saw a TV show where Liberace played "Chopsticks" on a little toy piano and the audience practically gave him a standing ovation. Of course, Liberace was the greatest pianist of modern times but I use this as the example of my point.
    It's not the camera that makes the photographer. It's the idiot looking through the viewfinder.
    Everybody knows that $5000 cameras take better pictures than $2000 ones and new cameras take better pictures than old ones, there are whole industries out there depending on that fact.
    Ben

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    I heard a saying once, " you can give a monkey a typewriter but he won't be Shakespeare"

That applies to a lot of things in life, photography, music, painting etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    I have to admit that I have taken several pictures of that lighthouse in Erie.
    Dave
    Wow! You must have a really HUGE telephoto lens!

Seriously, cliche shots are the standard by which photographers judge other photographers. If you have shot that lighthouse (or whatever) others who have also shot it can look at your picture and critique you from their experience of shooting the same subject.

Cliche shots also make great subject to try out new cameras on.
    I have a Zeiss Ikonta IV that I have only used once. I want to clean it up and take it out for some serious work. I will almost certainly take it out and shoot that lighthouse with it. I can compare the results to the other 1,000 lighthouse shots I made with other cameras.

I've been dying to get out my Graflex RB/Super D and shoot that lighthouse on 4x5!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The trick is to take unique photos of that lighthouse and other 'cliche' subjects that stand out as different, interesting, and well done. And do it 'in camera', not with photoshop or plugins. Doing that will get you work, and working at doing it will make you a better photographer.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I had several cameras with me, two of which were relatively new (to me). But the subject was also interesting to me. As you might imagine, we don't have too many lighthouses in Kansas.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I studied photography in college, did a stint of assisting in Los Angeles then eventually became a commercial photographer. I thought I was well prepared when I went out on my own. It's really brutal doing it alone without a business partner. I had some of the best clients in terms of business relationships. But some are like sharks and will try to get work for little or free. I because burnt out and hungry at the same time. The industry changed because of technology and the economics of photography. I now work in another field that I find just as satisfying without the financial worry. Took me many years to come back to photography. I just do it for fun and don't measure myself by the kind of photo jobs I get. For me, I just do it for the love of it. Yes I consider myself good, but there are tons of people just as good or even better. I don't have any delusions about my photography. I find that freeing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great points in the article. And have to admit I really get the Erie lighthouse reference, living in Charleston S.C. there are so many cliche things to shoot I find I only want to shoot them if I can do something that makes the shot different. I did learn for me if I'm going to shoot downtown Charleston first 3 hours of light on sunday mornings is when i want to do it. Less traffic and much better light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Colorado it's the Maroon Bells mountains near Aspen. I've seen a few B&W versions that I thought were better than Ansel Adam's. My one try at it was terrible. It won't be the last!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin