Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,908   Online: 979

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I switch back and forth effortlessly because I use the same speed film for both unless I am shooting waterfalls.
    I have two Nikon SLRs, one for C-41 and one for black & white.
    Four film backs for the Hasselblads , two for C-41 and two for black & white.
    Multiples film holders and Grafmatic 45s for C-41 and black & white, each clearly labeled.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So this seems to happen to more folks than just me! I'm still working at it. For sunrises and sunsets I just figure on shooting color. It is nice that with the Mamiya 645 I can take two backs along. If it's sunny I just go with black and white, and if it's overcast I've been taking mainly black and white though this fall when it's overcast I'll be reaching for color more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    When wondering whether to shoot a given scene in B&W or color, I ask myself what makes me want to photograph it? Is it the color? If so, I'll shoot color. Or is it the contrast in the elements of the scene, like the patterns of light and dark? If so, I'll shoot B&W.
    Yes!!! A famous photographer, can't remember which one, noted that the subject of a color photograph is the color itself. It is different for BW which emphasizes a physical object. Therefore, I am not surprised that it is hard to shift gears.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Yes!!! A famous photographer, can't remember which one, noted that the subject of a color photograph is the color itself. It is different for BW which emphasizes a physical object. Therefore, I am not surprised that it is hard to shift gears.
    I too recall seeing a similar statement, but it seems to me that it is a statement that could only be made by a photographer that shoots black and white almost exclusively .

As a devils advocate I might say something like: "Colour is more authentic and natural, but if the subject of a photograph is its planes and shapes and textures, then it may be best to take the reality of the subject's colour out of the equation, and choose the more artificial but simpler black and white rendition".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's my two cents. If you don't mind lugging around the extra gear, take it all with you. Do your best as the subject calls for within the scope of your vision.

However, just because you have decided to dabble in color once again after such long inactivity, do not feel obligated to do so. And if you choose to choose one over the other for an outing and see a composition that favors that which you left behind, do not feel obligated to expose a frame.

You might take everything with you and, once at your destination, lock the camera crap in the car. Go for a short walkabout with only your vision and see what beckons to your creativity.

I think your putting way to much pressure on yourself. Gets in the way of creativity.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I switch back and forth effortlessly because I use the same speed film for both unless I am shooting waterfalls.
    I have two Nikon SLRs, one for C-41 and one for black & white.
    Four film backs for the Hasselblads , two for C-41 and two for black & white.
    Multiples film holders and Grafmatic 45s for C-41 and black & white, each clearly labeled.
    I did not mean to imply that the exposure for a black & white and a C-41 will necessarily be the same. The light meter will be set the same, but the same subject may be exposed differently depending on the shadow detail as well as other factors including filter usage.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I did not mean to imply that the exposure for a black & white and a C-41 will necessarily be the same. The light meter will be set the same, but the same subject may be exposed differently depending on the shadow detail as well as other factors including filter usage.
    I think it has little anything to do with exposure Steve, but more about what makes a successful monochrome picture isn't the same as a colour picture, and I for one find it very hard to "think" in both at the same time, it's like trying to translate in two languages at once.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I find the hardest part is balancing B&W and colour printing. In one you're aiming for the best colour balance and in the other you're aiming for the best contrast. It also feels really weird printing in B&W with a safelight after being in total darkness with RA4 for a long time.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    My solution is simple: just shoot black and white.

I don't think color is going to catch on anyway.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    My solution is simple: just shoot black and white.

I don't think color is going to catch on anyway.
    Explain?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin