Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 722

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I think it has little anything to do with exposure Steve, but more about what makes a successful monochrome picture isn't the same as a colour picture, and I for one find it very hard to "think" in both at the same time, it's like trying to translate in two languages at once.
    One of the things I started playing with when I got my RB was simply taking one shot B&W and switching backs to shoot exactly the same shot at exactly the same placement with an incident meter at box speed.

What I found is that my best shots normally work well in either black or color. In fact for me it's been hard to find a nice B&W composition that won't work well in color.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Explain?
    I think that was supposed to be sarcasm.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    If you look at the work of a photographer like William Eggleston it's almost exclusively 'about' colour. It simply wouldn't have the same impact in B&W, although Eggleston did shoot monochrome in his earlier years. By contrast Ansel Adams' landscapes rely on texture and tone for impact. Some subjects are less clear, a good street photograph can be enhanced by the colours in it, or lessened. Martin Parr's shots work in colour, Tony Ray-Jones covered similar subjects successfully in black and white.

Digital photographers don't have the same problem, they simply desaturate a colour photograph. My response is to shoot black and white but carry a colour body for images that clearly need it. That works out about one roll of C41 or E6 for every four B&W. Others may have an opposite ratio, whatever, I feel a little naked if I don't have colour stock somewhere on me, even if it's in a compact camera.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Use C41 color film

and choose the color or lack thereof at the printing stage, Print the color negative on R4 paper for color and on classic B/W paper for B/W. Or use a camera with exchangeable backs Rollei 3003, Zeiss Contarex , the last model Contaflex for 35mm and Hassy, Bronica, Mamiya for Medium format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because color can make a composition work that would not work for black & white, I find that switching back and forth between the two when working on a subject forces me to make better compositions in color and push myself to make better compositions in black & white.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin