Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,194   Online: 995

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    What is a shill bidder? Based on how the term as it seems to be defined by his/her actions it seems to be someone who appears to be prepared to pay way over the "market" price. Is that it? If so then there is no defence against a bidder with more money than sense except by walking away.

Or am I missing something about what a shill bidder gets out of being the successful bidder?

pentaxuser

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    What is a shill bidder? Based on how the term as it seems to be defined by his/her actions it seems to be someone who appears to be prepared to pay way over the "market" price. Is that it? If so then there is no defence against a bidder with more money than sense except by walking away.

Or am I missing something about what a shill bidder gets out of being the successful bidder?

pentaxuser
    Look here:

http://www.ukauctionhelp.co.uk/shill.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'll do.

I should have bought this lens a month ago but I have to watch the budget. Now, I kind of "need" it more. I have a Schneider 80 mm but it's old and cloudy and it's not as sharp as it should be. Now I have prints I want to make and I'm feeling a bit antsy to get a better lens.
    I bought an old, cloudy Schneider 80 on Ebay several years ago. I was able to take it apart and clean the elements. I wasn't able to get quite all the cloudiness out, but the little that remains is only around the edges, and it works fairly well. On mine, almost all the cloudiness came from lubricant grease outgassing haze onto the innermost lens surfaces, next to the stop on either side. You can reach both of them by removing the front cell and opening the iris all the way. I cleaned them with Q-tips moistened with alcohol, and then more Q-tips moistened with Windex.

That might keep you going until you can score the lens you want.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    What is a shill bidder?

pentaxuser
    A bidder that is working with the seller, bidding on items simply to raise the price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Thanks for that. I am now better educated in the murky bidding world of e-bay. It hardly seems to cover what happened to the OP however. If the tactic results in the seller successfully getting the item for sale then it has failed as a tactic.

It will work of course if the bidder regards possession of the item as the equivalent of the only spare part for a dialysis machine to use a good analogy from another poster but if the bidder waits until almost the end of the auction and then bids his /her max and by definition his/her fair price bid then surely "shilling" fails.

I'd have thought this is the only sensible way to bid anyway

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    \and I'm feeling a bit antsy to get a better lens.
    Never go to any auction "antsy". The only way is to be completely cold-blooded, willing to lose the chance if the price exceeds your limit. Otherwise you should just BIN and move on. Is there shilling? Yea, like there has been for thousands of years.

I bid my max at about thirty seconds to go and confirm at seven to twelve seconds, depending on network latency. Usually, I get it. But I don't do the 'bay thing often. KEH is nice, the descriptions (in my experience) accurate and they stand behind their sales. I tend to put a bit of a premium on honor, but then, I'm old fashioned.

You can also do a WTB here on APUG. Lots of people with tons of stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You've gotten good advice regarding being patient.
    I used to think, "oh man I gotta score this deal now" even though next week a new slew of offerings of the same "rare" item appears.

It can even take a month or so but you can get what you want at decent prices and even really score some deals if you know how to play the game.

Best tactics are looking for stuff that closes early sunday mornings (EST) and stuff that closes midweek can get you deals sometimes too. Misspelled items usually attract fewer bids and look for bundled lots.
    A lot of times the item you want is in a lot and not even listed.

If you need to SELL...make sure your auction closes sunday evening.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Some people like to place multiple bids in order to make the bid count higher and scare off people looking for an easy win. I admit I have used this tactic before in order to make it appear like several people are interested, but all the bids are from me. A simple check of the bid history shows one person and multiple bids, but most people only look at the number of bids, not the number of individuals bidding.

In the first case, however, it does look like the seller wanted a higher price and made a new account to bid on their own item in order to get it. It failed since they won their own auction and now have to re-list it and try again.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best option I found for dealing with Ebay is to use a sniping service, such as Auctionstealer or the like. When you run across an item that interests you, add it to the queue with your max bid and either you will get it or not, no sense worrying about it. In fact, I frequently looked for auctions ending in the middle of the night, or early or late during the week, as bidding tends to end lower on those auctions as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am quite sure those 0 bid bidders are shill bidders. The sell doesn't want to sell the item for a low price but started out with a low price to get people to bid. At the end he (the shill bidder) bid the high price so he either has someone to bid even higher or getting the item back. So you see him relist the item right away. Now ebay can collect the fee on those shill bidding win so they don't do anything about it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin