Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,165   Online: 1040

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Very wise

Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Shills and other stunts are annoying. Just walk on if you can't/won't play. Like buses, another one will come along soon.
    Great advice. There's tons of darkroom on Ebay. I'm sure they'll be another one soon. Also check Craigs List too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Biid on a 80 Componon for around $50-$60 not too long ago and won it. Bidding on Ebay is part science and part magic. I tend to avoid overpriced items and always look at the bid history to see who's bidding. My suggestion is to continue watching the auctions, put things you want on your watch list to see what they went for, bid at the very last nanosecond and never, ever go over your budget for the item. It's worked for me. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just wait around, one will always pop up. if its mission critical and you need it right away buy from a large chain that offers used like keh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're looking for the best price look for items ending on weekdays. Especially during the day if you're able.
    As has been said, bid the amount you're willing to pay and walk away, Enter the bid either at your convenience, or in the last 10 or 15 seconds.
    Either way, either someone else is willing to pay more, or not. If there are shill bids, it really doesn't matter much, if you've stayed within your set price.

For items that are likely to gather bids and interest, the bidding in the last 5-10 seconds works well if you're able to monitor, or use a bidding service. Otherwise bid when you can and hope for the best. I've been surprised at having prevailed many times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I am acting like sour grapes but I know that you win some and you lose some. I might go to bed pissed off tonight but I'll feel better when I wake up tomorrow. But, in the mean time, I guy can blow off a little steam... can't he?

I have a bid in on another lens. Time will tell if I get it. Again... If you win you win. If you lose you lose. Take it as it comes.

The reason I'm looking for a lens is twofold:
    1) The lens I have is cloudy. It still works but it just doesn't have what it takes, anymore. It's basically showing its age.
    2) Another forum member talked me into getting an EL-Nikkor for my 35 mm negatives and I couldn't be happier.

I have a few 120 format negatives that I want to make nice prints of, in hopes of selling. The Schneider lens that I have is producing "okay" prints but "okay" just isn't what I want. I want, "Ka-Ching!"

I'll play the eBay game for a while longer. I'm sure I'll get a good lens.
    Sometimes, I just get that picture in my head and I know what I need to achieve that. But for this one silly, little thing, I could be making that print already. Y'Know what I mean?

That still doesn't mean I can't get peeved when somebody tinkers around with the bidding. I don't understand why people think that is the right thing to do.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If that's the older chrome body Componon, the rear lens cell will probably unscrew and you can clean 99% of the haze off rear cell and with the aperture wide open, clean the back of the front cell. I have the 50 and 105 versions and that's how I cleaned them. There is probably some haze in the front cell, you need a lens spanner to remove the ring around the front element, then you can clean in there as well. A lens spanner is less than what you are looking at paying for a "newer" lens that may need cleaning as well.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format

Auction Sniper

Use auction sniper. Basically anybody who bids at any time in the auction process before the last few seconds is an amateur who is artificially driving up the price of the item they are trying to get for cheap. Experienced bidders are looking for auctions that are not being bid up, then hoping that their maximum price is more that somebody else's. The other nice thing about Auction sniper is that you pick a price, go out to dinner or whatever while the auction closes, and you won it or not. You don't get sucked in by going up "just $5 more" until you pay more that market value. Funny that somebody said to pick weekend closes, I try to close auctions weekday late at night, not that it makes any difference if you snipe. I also pick a weird price that is over $x.50. Like $53.57. If somebody is manually sniping they at least have to make a few bids to figure it out. I won a fly rod last week that had 5 bids in the last 5 seconds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually have three prices in mind when I bid on eBay:
    The price I want to pay.
    The price I think it will sell for.
    The highest price I'm willing to pay.

At the start of an auction, I bid my low price. That price usually sits there until the last day of the auction when people start bidding up.
    On the last day, I bid my middle price and wait until the auction gets near closing. If the bidding doesn't go too high I'll put in my highest price in the last few minutes of the auction.

I don't understand what attraction sniping has for people. I have seen snipers take auctions at the last second but it is almost always for a higher price than I was going to pay in the first place. I have no problem with holding on to your maximum bid until the final minutes of the auction. That's what we used to call "Playing your cards close to your vest."

Basically, snipers just end up paying more for the same junk and driving up the price for everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    If that's the older chrome body Componon, the rear lens cell will probably unscrew and you can clean 99% of the haze off rear cell and with the aperture wide open, clean the back of the front cell.
    The lens I have is a Schneider Componar. When I get a new lens, I plan to take this one apart to see if I can clean it. If it can't be cleaned well enough or if I end up messing it up in the process, I'll consider it a science project. There's often no better way to learn than to take something apart to find out what makes it tick, inside.

But that doesn't happen until the new lens arrives.
    (I might be crazy but I'm not stupid! )
    Last edited by Worker 11811; 08-09-2011 at 08:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    I just make an offer typically a couple days before the auction ends, and then "forget" about it. If I won, I know it by mail. I take emotion out of the equation, which helps in getting stuff at low prices.

My last auctions:

Photographic bag, Reporter brand, middle size, "like new", €11
    Jobo 1510 with cog lid, reel, rod: €7,60
    Kaiser film cutter with magnifying lens and lamp: €15
    Voigtländer Bessa-L plus Voigtländer 15mm Heliar: €301,66
    Jobo 1510 with normal lid, reel, rod: €4
    Canon Canonet QL19 G-III QL: €66 (those are maybe cheaper in the US were more were sold).

Taking emotion away from the process is of capital importance. If you follow the auction, it's easy to feel you can add some € and it would still be a decent price. Not being in a hurry is important. I hunt for bargains. Put a price at which I am glad to win the auction, and that's it.

Sniping (whether in person or by machine) seems not useful to me. If you do it by machine, I see no advantage in postponing the offer to the last moment. Actually if the sniper maximum bid is equal to my maximum bid, I win. "Shilling" is not a problem, as I am not going to pay more than my offer in any case. Sniping "in person" just make you more vulnerable to emotions. The maximum price might be reached two minutes before the end and in that case, if not for anything else than giving a sense to the time wasted, one would offer "just a few Euros more".

I typically lose 4 or more auctions before getting what I need, but it's not wasted time as the entire process takes very little time, I place the bid and forget.

I don't even care about shilling. The seller can put a minimum bid, a reserve price, or practice shilling, I don't care. I just offer a price at which I am glad to get the object and if I get it I'm a happy camper.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems to me you guys don't really know how automatic sniping helps you. If you really want the item, you enter the maximum bid amount and go away. No one knows you are bidding and you do not engage in a bidding war which drives the price up. At the auction end, your auto bid is made and you either win or lose. But most times, you win and at a price lower than your maximum. Sometimes you are outbid before the auction ends. So wait for another auction. I like sleeping in the middle of the night. Auto-sniping makes this possible.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin