Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,820   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Bid Tinkering on eBay

I've been trying to buy an enlarger lens from eBay for about a week, now. I notice that there seems to be some "funny stuff" going on and it's pissing me off!

First, there is this lens (El-Nikkor 80 mm.)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...OIBUAA:US:1123

Started out low and ended high but that's not the problem. There seems to be a shill bidder who pushed up the price. He's a new bidder. Never bid on anything else and has a "0" rating. Near the end of the auction, he comes in and bids four times, consecutively, even though he's the highest bidder.

Second, this auction (El-Nikkor 80 mm.)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...OIBUAA:US:1123

Again started out low but, this time, with a high reserve.
    Ends up going for $65. Okay, not so bad. You win some and you lose some.
    But, literally, 24 hours later, the same seller posts the same lens for the same price.

Okay... Maybe I'm acting a little bit like sour grapes because I didn't get a price as cheap as I want. I would be willing to pay more if the bidding seemed honest but it seems to me like somebody is playing around.

What's your opinion?
    Do you think somebody's tinkering with the bids or am I really acting like sour grapes?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe there is fraud there, and the tease of a good price is annoying. But in the long run, if the seller wants to keep holding the lens for ransom, we can't do anything about it. Fight back by ignoring overpriced stuff. Don't give in, bid low.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Have you reported this to eBay?

You should. It's expressly forbidden by the rules for eBay auctions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I doubt anyone's tinkering with these. Maybe on the former but I doubt it. If you compare the latter to the newly listed lens, the seller gives a different serial number. Of the two bidders on the second, one is the person who lost the first lens - is that you?

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    I look at ebay like buying a raffle ticket. I much rather buy from a reliable retailer even if the price were higher. I buy through KEH and they a a very reasonable warranty and quick service.

HowardDvorin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW: Going price for that lens is between $60 and $80. (Plus or minus about a third-stop.) I'm not unwilling to pay the price but, when I think I see irregularity in the bidding I just pull the plug all together.

My eBay name is rws235 (r***5).
    When I saw the bidding start to go too high on the first one, I knew I wouldn't take it and I didn't want to get trapped by bid tinkering so I went for the second one.
    Randy S.

-----

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Shills and other stunts are annoying. Just walk on if you can't/won't play. Like buses, another one will come along soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, that's what I'll do.

I should have bought this lens a month ago but I have to watch the budget. Now, I kind of "need" it more. I have a Schneider 80 mm but it's old and cloudy and it's not as sharp as it should be. Now I have prints I want to make and I'm feeling a bit antsy to get a better lens.
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Pick a number that you are willing to pay, wait until the last ten seconds and then put in the bid. If it is too low, another will be along before too long. If no one else is bidding, the you get it at a knock down price and you don't fall in to a bidding war or get taken for a ride by the shills.

Scored a 150mm lens for less than £20 including shipping that way - Took a few attempts, but I got one after a couple of months.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's easy to succumb to the bidding rush but pointless if the bid snipers have an item in their crosshairs.

As the frau often tells me, "It's not like you're on dialysis and buying spare parts for a busted machine."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin