Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,013   Online: 877

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    35mm
    Appeal to which authority? You got me all confused, Monito.
    “I am an amateur and I intend to stay that way for the rest of my life.” André Kertész

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If we only allow ourselves to read top flight practitioners and disregard all the rest, then we go down the road that ends with only Oscar-nominated movie directors being allowed to write movie reviews and only award-winning Australian photographers being allowed to write biographies of award-winning Australian photographers.

If an idea or concept or an expression or essay makes sense to you, adopt it. If it conflicts with something you already know or believe then you have to weigh your depth of research on the topic. If you've researched a topic in depth and an idea conflicts with it, regard the idea skeptically, but if it is well presented and well argued, then consider it carefully to see if there is something to learn.

The "fallacy of authority" is the bowing and kow-towing to big names just because they are big names. They probably have a portfolio to back up their reputation, but just because they say something doesn't make it true. Similarly, just because someone says something and has a stellar portfolio doesn't make it true, even if they are unknown.

Take the example of continental drift (plate tectonics). When Wegener proposed and advocated his theories, he was initially ignored because the people with the big reputations and the portfolios of published works dismissed it. However, his arguments for his theories made more and more sense as new evidence was found. It was at the point of presentation of each new geologic discovery (such as sea floor spreading) that Wegener's ideas needed to be reconsidered a bit more. Note: Wegener was an outsider, with a Ph.D. in Astronomy.

That doesn't mean that we must consider every cockanamie idea just because somebody presents it. If it makes no sense and there is no evidence for it, then it can be rejected. For example, the theory (stated as "theory" in a scientific context but it might as well be "fact") of evolution has such a massive body of evidence behind it that silly ideas like Lamarkism that come along can be easily refuted and rejected.

So it is especially in discussions of the philosophy of art, where there is less evidence, per se, and more opinion. If an opinion makes sense to you and helps you understand how to approach an art and gives you inspiration and energy and focus, then use it. There is no need to consult a portfolio. Weegee smoked cigars constantly, developed his film in the trunk (boot) of his car, and has a great portfolio. Does that mean we all have to smoke cigars and develop film in the trunk of our car? No.
    Last edited by Monito; 08-21-2011 at 10:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Note: Wegener was an outsider, with a Ph.D. in Astronomy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    everyone has their own "authority" ...

on the internet there is a lot of BS posing as "authority"

Shooter
    35mm
    My apologies, I am somewhat new here and I didn't immediately realise that I was posting in the "philosophy" section. Please disregard my comments. (Many thanks for your detailed response, though).

This section is not for me, I much prefer the practice of photography.
    “I am an amateur and I intend to stay that way for the rest of my life.” André Kertész

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtraubert View Post
    My apologies, I am somewhat new here and I didn't immediately realise that I was posting in the "philosophy" section. Please disregard my comments. (Many thanks for your detailed response, though).

Welcome to APUG Tom.

I do enjoy the technical bits as a pass time too.

When I was first learning to print RA4, I made what I considered a nice print to share with a few buddies. Beautifully exposed, reasonably composed, nice morning light, old frilly Victorian style building in a mining town, old truck out front, incredible blue sky, vivid red orange rocks in mountain behind, truly postcardy.

I'd gotten up early and driven 75-miles one way to go shooting the day I took it, I'd worked hard in the darkroom to get any print at all let alone one that was technically nice and rich in color. Then I'd driven 250-miles to go hang out with my buddies for a week at a photography seminar.

One of my buddies asked "What were you trying to say with that shot?"

I was truly at a loss to answer.

It wasn't a snap of my wife or daughter for a memory, it wasn't a paying gig for the town or store merchant, it was just another tourist shot.

I wasn't trying to say anything, all I I had done was take a generic picture. Pretty for sure, but no emotion, nothing to connect the viewer to the scene.

That was a great lesson for me. For me, the practice of photography is about sharing and expressing emotions visually. It is truly about philosophy and ethics.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtraubert View Post

Don't worry about it. We all post stuff all over the place here. We act like there are members and moderators, but in reality it's more like guards and inmates sometimes.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Don't worry about it. We all post stuff all over the place here. We act like there are members and moderators, but in reality it's more like guards and inmates sometimes.
    Or possibly doctors and patients
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Or possibly doctors and patients
    Nah, that's just what they tell you.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin