Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,773   Posts: 1,516,604   Online: 1103

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    I'm wrestling with a decision whether to keep sharing images on-line. My output is prolific enough in 35mm and medium format to make the scanning of images something approaching a full time job. Of course not all are good photographs, but even scanning as a replacement to contact printing at low resolutions means hours of work and extra negative handling.

The alternatives are to go digital, which has a certain logic when you're shooting up to fifteen films in a weekend, or stick to the darkroom and make contact prints for posterity and fine prints of the best stuff for pleasure. The joy for me is making and looking at a quality silver print and screen sharing is a poor substitute for that, certainly not one worth all my spare time to catalogue.
    I suggest you slow down and reduce your output if you are after quality, no one can take 540 meaningful photographs in a weekend let alone afford the film.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Contact sheets are very useful, also - I'd never recommend cutting them out of a film workflow.

You gain a whole new perspective on your work, and you get a second slower look at your images...who wouldn't see the value in gaining a new objective look at your pictures? To me it's one of the main advantages of film over digital...
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I suggest you slow down and reduce your output if you are after quality, no one can take 540 meaningful photographs in a weekend let alone afford the film.
    Maybe he's channeling Winogrand.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No!

Shooter
    35mm
    Fifteen films is exceptional, ten is the average if I'm working on a project. About half are portraits on 120, the others are 'street' or documentary photographs on 35mm. Not exceptional to cover a subject I won't have the chance to record again.
    I rue the days I shot one film a week and the images I missed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    I rue the days I shot one film a week and the images I missed.
    The regret gets worse as you get older! Be thankul you recognize it now. That's why I always tell people to stop the incessant testing and get out and take pictures. There will come a day when you are no longer able to take photographs.

Jerry
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact sheets not useful? You have to be joking. Make the contact prints on the same paper you normally print on. Always at the same enlarger height, f/stop, exposure time, lens, and without contrast filter. It is a wonderful check to make sure we're fully understanding the lighting conditions and subsequent alterations to film processing, making negatives that print with ease when the time comes to make an 11x14.
    To me a contact sheet is invaluable. It's the only way I can tell with certainty, without a densitometer, how I am doing with exposure and processing and whether I need to make adjustments or not. Making negatives that print easily guarantees less waste of paper. With Ilford Warmtone being $135 for a 50-sheet box of 11x14 today, that's worth a lot to me.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The regret gets worse as you get older! Be thankul you recognize it now. That's why I always tell people to stop the incessant testing and get out and take pictures. There will come a day when you are no longer able to take photographs.

[Underline emphasis is mine. -KN]
    These are very, very wise words...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm
    I confess my contact sheets are on the cheapest resin coated multigrade paper I can find, but they're still invaluable. If an image jumps out at 36 x 24mm it's definitely worth printing. Not being very organised digitally, I suspect it'll be easier to find a photograph in twenty or thirty years (if I'm still around) than source the appropriate card, stick, disc or whatever transient technology is in favour.

Judging by the images I took in the 1970s I had no idea which would become important to me and others now, as areas were cleared for redevelopment but I should certainly have covered more.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin