Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,267   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is Photography Dead?

We have all read the debates over whether analog photography is dead. But maybe we should be asking whether the whole concept of photography is dead. Whether analog or digital it is the image itself that is important. What are we being told when the same images keep being made. Is it a great photograph when it has been done over a dozen times before. With millions of people each with a camera (of sorts) in their phone have we become so desensitized that we cannot conceive of a good photograph anymore. In this age when children are given trophies, not for winning but for participating, does it mean anything to be really good at something. Everything seems to be a rehash of what was done before.

I think everyone has seen the "one tree hill" photograph. You know the one, a grassy hill with one, two, or three trees, ominous clouds in the background. Sometimes it is done in IR, sometimes there are a few sheep grazing on the grass. It's all the same image, adding or subtracting a tree or sheep doesn't make it new or award winning.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.

Cheer up, Jerry, it gets worse!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Is Photography Dead
    No. Not even close.

There are always cliche subjects. On the model photography sites the cliches are caution tape, hand bras, and railroad tracks. Sometimes in combination. It is no surprise that there are cliches in landscape photography, architectural, wedding, street, product, ....

By the time of the advent of the Daguerrotype's popularity, say 1857 to pick a date, there were cliche subjects.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    No...it is feeling better. It does not want to get into the cart...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Monito View Post
    There are always cliche subjects.
    I know that it's an imperfect world, but should cliches be given awards?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    No
    I don't "do" Trees on hills or mountains or sunsets. I look for beauty in the "ugly". I love to do bugs. But they are beautiful in and of themselves. I think I might start doing "mens roons" in public parks and highway rest stops. Look at my self portrait in Alternative processes in APUG. I will never be on one of those KODAK charts.
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    jerry

i agree 100% a lot of photography can be boring ... and the book of ecclesiastes
    suggested everything is meaningless 2 thousand + years ago ...

but without the practice of remaking the same grassy hilltop over and over
    and better and better each time how will we ever make something else ?

usually step off the path ... the well beaten one is too dusty

too bad you can't view the gallery, there are few grassy hilltop/trees and lots of people who step off the path ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-23-2011 at 05:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I know that it's an imperfect world, but should cliches be given awards?
    Probably not, but depends on the context, of course. There is little harm and usually some good in giving a child an award for a lone tree photo if it is clearly or arguably better than the other entries in a contest.

It sounds as if some award for a lone tree somewhere irked you. Perhaps if you were specific instead of elliptical we'd be able to ease your pain.
    Last edited by Monito; 08-23-2011 at 06:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: some good

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is a joke, right..?
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin