Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,063   Online: 1128

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm always afraid I won't have the right gear with me to take that once in a life time photo. I haul a lot and use very little but, I'm prepared!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flash26c View Post
    I'm always afraid I won't have the right gear with me to take that once in a life time photo. I haul a lot and use very little but, I'm prepared!!
    Yeah, that.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually take an SRT 201 with a 35mm f/1.8 lens wherever I go. On long trips it gets harder to choose. 6 Minolta bodies, 11 lenses, 120 folders both 6x6 & 6x9, 120 TLR and a Crown Graphic with all the trappings. What do I take or leave behind?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That would be the Rolleiflex for me.

I usually find way too many reasons to leave the 4x5 at home, the Hasselblad with only the 80mm does not really add anything to my photography, and the EOS3 is heavier than the Flex. I like them all, but if I spend some time thinking, the it'll be the Rolleiflex again...

Wonder why I have created my own favourite images with it (or with the Yashica Mat I owned before) ? At 90%, I'd say it's because this is the camera I carry most of the time (including when commuting or travelling for business).
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    I sort of have this in reverse. My psychological hang-up is weight / bulk. The majority of photos I took last year (90%+) were with a Ricoh GR1s P&S, I had to make a real effort to drag out my SLR. In the end I had to get rid of the Ricoh so I would use my SLR more. The big issue for me was keeping the horizon straight, the tiny P&S viewfinder was useless for that. I still have weight / bulk issues and rarely leave the house with more than one lens which is invariably the 24mm. I suppose I'm doing the one camera one lens thing subconsciously.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I did carry a BIG bag-o-stuff on vacation till I realized I was not having fun unless there was a camera in my hand. Wide range of lenses, multiple bodies, motor, flashes, table top tripod, and more. I cared more about the safety of the camera stuff than anything else. Would it be safe when we went to dinner?

I sold most of it and went Leica M. Worked fine for years. Had to sell the Ms and glass now I have a Ricoh P&S and could not be happier. Yes I can not reach out the way I could with my 300mm, but you know it's OK. When I really feel the need I pack the kit, F2 body, 28/2.8 AIs, 85/1.8, 300/4.5 ED-IF and my trusty L-318 meter.

Less can be much more but it takes acceptance that you will never be perfectly prepared for everything all the time.

I might be on a different path along the same journey.

B2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 5 X 4 which I'm very fond of... nice set of lenses, too. My psychological hang up is that whilst I love the camera and using it - I hate being the centre of attention and really don't like the crowd of gawpers it atracts or their often sarcastic comments. Last Sunday I went to a local wood to photograph some trees. I was mainly doing test shots to try out some new lenses I had mounted. Next thing I know two couples I have wandered over to see what is going on and their young kids start climbing all over the tree I've just focussed on....

After it was clear they intended to claim it as their own, I wondered off to find another tree. Two mininutes later and more kids have made a bee line for it me and my tree and started climbing on it, gawping at me and generally GETTING IN THE WAY :-(

Yes, I am a miserable sod.on

Two teenagers come up to me on BMX bikes. "What are you taking pictures of?" they ask. Demand, really.

I am in a wood. Surrounded by trees. My camera is pointing at a tree.
    "Trees" I said.
    "Well, that camera looks like a ****ing dinosaur", they said.

Ba, humbug...

The thing is, with a digital, no ones cares because you are just the same as everybody else. I'm sure that has a LOT to do with their popularity, it isn't always comfortable to be conspicouus...
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    .....and their young kids start climbing all over the tree I've just focussed on....

Two mininutes later and more kids have made a bee line for it me and my tree and started climbing on it, gawping at me and generally GETTING IN THE WAY :-(

Yes, I am a miserable

"Trees" I said.
    "Well, that camera looks like a ****ing dinosaur", they said.

Ba, humbug...

Learn these words and problems like this you will not have........

I am taking pictures of the poison ivy over there. It's a particularity strong subspecies, kind of rare actually. I want to document out for the DNR.

B2

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    If I take the 35mm GR1v I have no problems.

If I take the ETRSi then I have to choose between three lenses, take ten minutes to decide and then always take two and then a bag to put them in. If I take the bag then I might add the GR1v and then ....

btw. This one year, one film thing - do we get a 24 exposures film or a 36 exposure film? I think it could make a difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Isn't that normal?

Every camera has it's own purpose, and if you want to have a certain look then one would work and the other wouldn't... in my opinion. I'm not much of a street photographer, so it may be a bigger dilemma for those who do street, may be you should find a camera that comes with variable lens option and just carry different lenses. Assuming you do only 35 or only medium or only bigger format... but if you want to change the format as well, then I guess you will just need a big trunk in your car...??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin