Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,187   Online: 1117

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I imposed a bit of that "one camera, one lens" discipline on myself this last vacation, although I did bring 4 lenses (just in case...). I ended up using only two of them, and one was used for 94-96% of my photos (2 or 3 out of 43). I still almost killed myself dragging around gear because I took about 25 5x7 film holders with me. Even with half of them being "light-weight" wood ones, I swear I must have had near 40 lbs of gear in my carry-on bag. That got winnowed down significantly when I was out and about with the camera, so I was only hauling around 10 lbs +/- plus the tripod when in the field. Did I see images that I would have liked to take, but couldn't, because I didn't have the right lens with me? Sure, but was I completely happy with what I did take? With those two lenses, absolutely! It was a real learning experience, and it's inspired me to winnow down some of my surplus gear and focus on the cameras I really like to shoot. I still shoot too many formats (everything from 35mm and digital, 6x6/6x7, 5x7, 5x12, 6.5x8.5, to 14x17, and an 11x14 that may be coming online next year if I can get the money together to finish rebuilding it). It is VERY hard to be jack-of-all-trades, and even harder to do it well. I think limiting yourself really helps you concentrate on your personal vision. It also helps you get to know your subject matter - with one specific kit tailored to shooting that subject or small group of subjects, you really get to know what you're shooting and it makes a big difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas, you are right of course...!!

In some ways, the decline in film usage has fuelled the dilemma as it is so (relatively) cheap to pick up quality film kit at a fraction of its price pre-digital. Now, I can afford cameras I could only dream of in years gone by.

I've decided on the Leica R3 as I can see all of the frame (no lens cutting into the viewfinder all the time) and I have 3 very nice lenses for that body. I will take a 120 camera - my Voigtlander Perkeo I which has a great lens and it's tiny. As I'll be taking a tripod, getting good quality shots at slow times shouldn't be an issue.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found that the more options I have, the more kit i bring.
    Usually this is typical when I bring my Canon 1v with me, I always end up bringing lenses covering everthing from 17mm to 200mm and a few prime lenses in between.
    - And flashes, polarizers, the cokin-p's etc....

But, after I got hold of my medium format cameras, I only have two lenses, so I bring the camera an my two lenses and some film and off I go, much easier =)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin